ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking around eBay and see these R200 non-turbo rear ends and I never knew there was any difference between the turbo vs non turbo.

So, what comes with an 82 turbo and how is it different from a non-turbo?

What would this tell you about the trans/rear (came from an 82 Turbo 5 speed)? FS5R90A RC35

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was never aware of any difference between the R200 differential in the N/A and Turbo models. The 1982 FSM doesn't list any difference.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, that's a Z32 (300ZX) short nose R200 (viscous limited slip) from 1995. Never used in a 280ZX of any year...

I'm only referring to the long nose R200 used in the 1979-1983 280ZX. Within those years, a different version was never listed for the turbo cars.

All the 280ZX R200's were open diff. although many people have installed LSD components into their stock R200's.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's a Z32 (300ZX) short nose R200 (viscous limited slip) from 1995. Never used in a 280ZX of any year...

I'm only referring to the long nose R200 used in the 1979-1983 280ZX. Within those years, a different version was never listed for the turbo cars.

All the 280ZX R200's were open diff. although many people have installed LSD components into their stock R200's.
Ok, just sounded odd that they would list a non-turbo version. Also looks like they have two versions of the LSD and that lower gears were because of the heavier cars, so the ZX didn't get the lower gears?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the turbo zx's had a 3.70:1 ratio rear end and the non-turbo 5 speeds had 3.90, but only starting in 1981.
This one seems to be the 3.5 gears based on the vin tag and was an 82 turbo. I understand they changed the gears a bit when the car got too heavy. Personally, I'd probably rather have the 3.9 or quicker, but IDK how the turbo spools up.

I just thought it was strange that the eBay ads specifically mentions turbo vs non-turbo rear end.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
This one seems to be the 3.5 gears based on the vin tag and was an 82 turbo. I understand they changed the gears a bit when the car got too heavy. Personally, I'd probably rather have the 3.9 or quicker, but IDK how the turbo spools up.

I just thought it was strange that the eBay ads specifically mentions turbo vs non-turbo rear end.
Yeah I've heard the higher gear ratios are more desirable for the turbo. The 3.90 seems fine with my setup though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've heard the higher gear ratios are more desirable for the turbo. The 3.90 seems fine with my setup though.
I remember years ago, the "rule of thumb" was that if you replace the down pipe on the stock turbo exhaust with a better one, and open up the rest of the exhaust, you get the best performance.

I would guess that a larger turbo would raise the point where it kicks in, so maybe the factory turbo with a well designed exhaust and a cooler, mixed with proper gears should give the best street performance.

My NA, bone stock 79 moved along pretty good, I can't wait to see how a turbo conversion works, but I don't want to have to wind it out to get the power out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts