ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was considering the purchace of an 83 ZX Turbo with an automatic transmission and I had a few questions that I hope somebody can answer.
What is the best way to increase the off-line performance of these cars? It seemed sluggish until the turbo kicks in. Can you mess with the gear ratios or something to increase the off-line acceleration?
Do these cars have a factory limited-slip rear-end?
I want realistic performance in the 200 horsepower range with limited modifications. Is that figure possible with this car assuming that it is in excellent mechanical condition? What is the best way to accomplish this goal?
What suspension modifications work the best with the automatic transmissions? What modifications can be done to the transmission to increase its performance and longevity?
I know I am long-winded, but I can't wait to get another Z car!
Thanks!
Warren

· Registered
1,989 Posts
no, the 280zxt doesn't come stock with a limited slip, you can swap one from a first gen 300zx tho. The cheapest thing you can do to your car is increase the boost. But before you do that make sure its in good running order. your car has 180hp stock and getting 200 hp is easy, infact getting 225-250 hp is easy, just add more boost, cold air intake, and a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust. An intercooler would do you a lot of good too if you plan on running more than 10 pounds of boost. its about 6.5 stock. Trust me...once you get 200 hp...you're gonna want a lot more. as far as the transmission goes...just run good fluid in it...they're built pretty tough...infat, you'll find that your whole car is built pretty tough...anyways I'd say get the car and have fun, you won't regret it. Also, before you buy the car, check the freeplay in the turbo, if its loose you're gonna need a new one soon.

· Registered
996 Posts
Warren-I would second what Spork says and add a bit-
First, the combination of a low compression engine and an auto transmission make my car react differently to throttle than my Saturn SL2. The SL2 is sensitive to low speed throttle input but quickly runs out of steam. My '81ZXT (perhaps because of the small throttle body) wants a fair amount of throttle to "jump" off the line. That said, I can usually get other cars by a car length or so right off the line. I'd guess about 1/3 throttle will jump the car pretty well off the line, much more and the tires start to spin, much less and its kinda sluggish. If the car you're looking at lacks low end power you'll want to have it thoroughly checked before you buy.
That said, the best thing for quick accelleration would probably be one of two things:
a 5 speed with 3:90's or maybe a maxima 4 speed auto swap with 3:70's. Your turbo will have 3:54's so its not a red light bandit.
These cars respond well to modification given that you're starting with a 180 cu in engine. 200-220 hp is very easy to achieve with complete driveability.
Buy the car, I love mine.
Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.