ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!! Im new to this Forum and I recently got a 1983 Datsun 280ZX non- turbo as a gift from one of my Friend's. This car has high miles but the Engine has been reworked{ I was told by my friend who owned it} about 270000 miles. It was running ok except for some weird sound near the injectors, It sounds as if there's a hole in the exhaust but I think its coming from the near the injectors!! I started it on 30th of december everything was fine and after a week the car just doesnt start. It cranks, so the Battery is ok and everything else like lights and tuner are working fine but I did hear some sound from near the head may be its something electrical click noise when I turn the ignition ON, it makes some clicking noise!! So can you tell me the possible problems?? the fuel light is ON when the ignition is swtiched on but there is fuel in the car about half a tank!! Do you think the fule lines are clogged as the car has so many miles or??? so can anyone please tell me the Possible problem areas and what I should do to rectify it!! I cant take it to a Mechanic now!! Help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
492 Posts
.....gosh ..i dont know...do you smell gas?.....is there "pressure" to the fuel rail?....
do you hear a "kinda whirrrrring sound" from behind you after you turn the key on but before you start it(my fuel pump does that)....not sure about the clicking sound unless an injector lost its seal,a head/exhaust gasket blew (or its a relay)...any smoke?.....s

· Registered
5,716 Posts
On a normal fuel injected L-28 that is idling, there is an audible "clicking" with the hood up. This is the sound the injectors make when they pulse and is completely normal. A sharp metallic or "whapping" sort of sound is not, however, and could indicate anything from a sloppy timing chain to a leaky head or manifold gasket. I also once traced this sound to a missing rubber gasket around an injector, courtesy of the former owner.
At this point, if I were you I'd do the cheapest thing possible that will PROBABLY help, if not cure your problem. Undo every electrical connector under the hood, one at a time, clean the contacts up as good as you can and reconnect. This includes the battery terminals, all engine sensors, the injector connectors, and all body ground wires. Fuel-injected Z cars are very sensitive to wiring imperfections, and this is the cause of much downtime where people spend huge amounts of money replacing expensive components they don't really need.
Then again, it might not solve the prob at all. But it's a good place to start.
Good luck.

· Registered
9 Posts
Remember your car needs three things to run- Gas, Air, and Fire. I would start your search with these three things first. More than likely there is no problem with it getting air. So, does it get fire? Pull off one of the plug wires, hold it about a 1/4 inch from ground metal and turn the car over and see if you get spark. Spark. No, then you know your problem is ignition. Work back from the plugs. To see if your getting gas try pulling out the cold start valve holding it in a jar and crank. If you get gas in the jar then you know you are getting gas. I would try this stuff first. If your cylinders are getting gas, air, and fire then your problem could be timing or like someone else suggested in the fuel injection system. Check those connections- all of them. Best of luck- David

· Registered
4,289 Posts
Pretty simple if it has been humid or you left the hood open and it rained. Zed's are notorious for getting dirty / corroded connectors after 20 years of use.

Do yourself a big favor and get a FSM (the only place you will find one for an 83 is at a Nissan dealer, the public library or eBay) other than that get a Haynes # 28014.

Now on to your problem, put a fuel pressure gauge between the fuel filter and the upper fuel rail. When you turn the key to "run" you should hear the fuel pump run for 5 seconds and then shut off, the fuel pressure should be above 35 PSI.

Put an inductive timing light on the coil wire and crank the engine, the light should flash.

Do the same thing on the spark plug wires.

Using a mechanics stethoscope (or a long screwdriver) listen to the base of the injectors, while cranking, you should hear the injectors click.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot!! When ever I try to start the car, the battery is fine and its cranks the engine and I do hear a occassional firiring, may be some cyclinders are firing sometimes, so I think the Problem is with the injectors, What do you say???

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did check all the elctrical connections and the Plugs everything seems to be ok and so the only remaining thing would be something with the injection system to fuel pump, can anyone tell me how to check that stuff!1 when ever I try to start it i hear some cylinders to fire but it doesnt start so not enough fuel I guess what can I do any Ideas, Help appreciated!! Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.