ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey every one just put my 1982 280zx turbo motor in my 1973 z running, i just put a front mount intercooler in and i also upgraded the turbo to a t3/to4, everything else is stock. the car right now is running at 4 1/2 psi and it is soooo much faster than the stock 2.4, my problem is where do i put my huge afm. right now i have it right after the turbo with a rubber coupler and it is zip ties to the manifold, where can i mount this huge brick of an afm. i was thinking about making a bracket that would hold the afm to the block where the (i think) power steering was mounted too.

any info would be great and a pic or 2 would be sweet

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hey Gex, here is steves280's solution.<http://atlantaracing.tripod.com/turboz/Turbo_280Z.html> I prefer this method over directly hooking it to the compressor. Inside the afm is a air temp sensor. The further away from the turbo heat will give better ambient temp readings in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I thought it was silly to pull hot air from the engine bay into the turbo to then compress it and try to recool it. It was a bitch to get a CAI with a IC turbo but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
One thing I've been thinking about doing if I get a turbo engine swapped into my 78 is this:
remove the inspection cover above the wiper fluid reservoir (opposite the battery cover).

Manufacture a box with scoop with cowl induction type intake facing the windshield to a filter in place of the little inspection cover. Then from there to the AFM then turbo (then IC) then TB.
That should be cold and even a little higher pressure, might even help power if there is enough pressure there.

I am going to tape a bunch of 2 inch strings to my hood and windshield area around that inspection cover to see what they do at higher speeds. To see what the airflow is and stuff. I have not found any other info on this subject in the archives, please anyone, let me know if there is any that I haven't found.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That a neat idea and should work good. The only problem area will be where the turbo inlet and outlet pipes cross each other at the shock tower. Make a Ubend for the inlet and run it under the outlet pipe should work.

I would again seriously sugest saving the money up for SDS or MS and ditch the AFM altogether.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.