ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lube the u joints on my 78's half shafts but cannot find a zerk fitting or extension that lets my grease gun get to it. Anyone have the solution?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Some aftermarket u-joints have a small plug that you can unscrew and replace with a zerk fitting. It's easiest to do this off the car. Lube em up, them remove the fitting and reinstall the plug. If you don't, you'll probably break the fitting when the suspension moves up or down. There isn't much room in there.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Roger,
check the auto parts store. There is a fitting that goes between those small zirk fittings and your grease gun to adapt it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still not there guyz

No, Rob Dyno grease - ha! (by the way AutoZone here blew out their Quaker full synthetic @ $1 a quart. I was almost ready to convert except the guy that told me beat me there and bought all they had) BACK TO THE PROBLEM: The joints are the original ones and had they had plugs in them. I have the grease gun flex adapter but it is still too big to fit between the castings (I have tried every angle). I tried to get a male/female adapter/extension but have had no luck finding one (I did find one for the larger 1/4" size). This is a real puzzle - I sure don't want to remove the half shafts to just lube them. And I'm really not interested in turning one on the lathe. Someone must make this part somewhere.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: Still not there guyz

i think it's a metric straight thread that goes in there. Really good auto parts supliers should have an adapter that you can screw into the hole and it just clears the yokes. I think I bought mine as a farm supply store. I just have the one and screw it in each joint as I grease them. The other guys are right, if it stays there, it'll get smashed when they rotate. Good luck Rojer.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
roger, found something else...

roger, I just went out to my "'ole pile 'o halfshafts" and noticed that one had a zerk in it on a short, hexagonal standoff-looking thing, and it cleared the yoke pinch point. You may want to look under some cars in the junkyard, as that's where that shaft came from. You could hork a few of those adapters and yould be all set. again, good luck...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Still not there guyz

I think its a standard NPT thread, not metric, but I'm not postive. If you wanted to mess around with it to avoid pulling it, I'd try a short piece of threaded pipe and a coupling, if you can find one to fit. Thread the coupling onto the pipe, thread the pipe in the u-joint, and screw the zerk in. Lube, then remove and plug. Just a theory, but let us know if you find something to work. I'll check the next time I'm at the hardware or auto store this weekend for some small pipe and couplings. Even plastic should work.

The only other thing to try, is to move the suspension up and down with a jack while the body is on a stand and see if you can find a spot to get in there. Otherwise, pull the shafts (even just one end might work).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a needle point fitting on my gun..

Roger,

I know what you mean. Here is what I do. There hard to find... but if you look around and ask. There is a needle point that will fit on to the standard grease gun tip. it acts like and extension. It just barely covers the head of the fitting. But works great. I have 4x4 truck (toyota) that required this. There out there just need to look real good and ask.

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dennis I think you are close!

Instead of extending the Zerk fitting I think I will turn a an extension for my grease gun that is a snug fit over the fitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.