Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A friend of mine gave me an idea to get a 6 speed standard from a 350z. To me it sounded like a cool idea but i wasnt sure if it would be possable to bolt up to the z31's motor.

Does anyone know if this idea would work?

Post Edited (Aug 4, 2:59pm)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, i knew i would get an anser like that... But you see, I was curious of any known similarities between them. And i am not looking into spending big bucks just for an extra gear.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
with a 20 year difference in design times, Id say the likelyhood of the transmissions being similar is a big fat NO. cmon man. one is a 6 speed designed in the 2000s somewhere, the other is a 5 speed designed in the 80s.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can bolt the z33 tranny to the z32 bellhousing to fit it to a Z32. And I think you can bolt a VG30DET engine to a z31 tranny. So...maybe all you have to do is machine a bellhousing to fit?

Or maybe it's all just a wild goose chase for one extra gear....

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
domdogg123 wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you can bolt the z33 tranny to the z32
> bellhousing to fit it to a Z32.
This may be true. I don't know for sure.

> And I think you can bolt a VG30DET engine to a z31 tranny.
I know this is NOT true.

> So...maybe all you have to do is machine a bellhousing to fit?
This is the least you need to do. Might have to change input shaft and output shaft. Will probably have to have a new driveshaft custom made.

It isn't a direct bolt on, if that was the intent of the original question.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Who was that guy on z31.com that swapped in a VG30DET into his Z....didn't he use the stock tranny? Or did he use a Z32 one...

·
Registered
458 Posts
you would have to custom make a bell houzing for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.