ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend owns a 89 240SX, Last night he told me that he wants to buy a Z31 Turbo and basically swap the the engine, tranny, drivetrain, axles, exhaust, basically everything under the hood and body exept for the wheels and breaks. I'm guessing he'd have to create some new mounts for everything, but is there anything else he'd need to worry about?

·
Registered
297 Posts
you didn't make it clear if he wants the 240sx components in the z31 or the z31 parts in the 240sx.

either way, i don't think all of those things are going to fit perfectly, even with new mounts. he's probably going to need some custom fabricated parts, such as the driveshaft.

and seriously, why not just buy the z31 turbo and drive it!? it's a beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
dude he should just get a sr20det engine from japan for his 240sx its a direct fit, reliable, proven power source. and their only like 2,000

·
Registered
455 Posts
DUMB IDEA JUST BUY A 300zx whole and spend like maybe 1000. ALthough the sr20det might be a nice buy if you have the wallet and time for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, good news. He's decided to go with the sr20det, he's in love with the look of his 240SX so that's what he has decided. Anyone have any more information on this engine (preferable a link)

·
Registered
958 Posts
well... the older Z's... not sure which... maybe the 280... It kind of has an older camaro or mustang sort of look, with a 'Z' rear. I like that alot. looks really nice I think.

Just checked the car of the month. Its the old 280Z's who have a nice look imo. It just sort of has an old mustang/camaro feel to it. Classic. Looking at it I'm not sure exactly why I think that but I do. Here is the car of the month I'm talking about

http://www.zcar.com/month/2004/03/

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
yer sr20det is an awsome engine, and for the 240sx aftermarket is unlimited. he will have fun with it

·
Registered
257 Posts
RB20DET would be cool too

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, this morning i talked to my friend and now he wants to get the srd-4 engine, he say's that it's the stock turbo engine for a 240sx... what's the differences between the srd-4 and the sr20det?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
lol he wants a neon :p srt 4 only thing i could come up with

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
the US 240sx's didnt come with turbo engines, or the engine u said. just get a sr20det.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
one of the local 240 guys has this in his signature:
"An SR20DET is like a tampon. Every ***** has one."

Be different. Drop an VG30ET into a 240SX. Been done a couple times, but not near as often as even an RB swap.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
yeh because everyone has one, because their the best engien, if u wanna b a hardass or somethin and try to modify a the stock engine your wasting your money. if being a ***** is buying a angine that is already fast then who cares pusies r tight anyways. no pun intended

·
Registered
559 Posts
wow...just for fun since i havent been round for a while lol...yes its true every ***** does have one..now the 300zx if youre grammar were a little bit better i may have understood the second half of your first sentence. "To modify a the stock engine" hire a tutor smart ass. Next i believe what zbum is trying to say is that everyone and their friend has a sr20det...In my opinion its getting old, and it seems not many people are interested in innovating and creating a whole new monster. My friend just turboed a ka24, the bonus is torque, an ass load of it. The sr20 falls short on torque.

Next do some research and get your **** straight whoever you are, what the **** is an srd4?? and yes 300 is right, there was never a turboed engine that ever made it to the states, the ka24de and ka24e occupied the secretary hauler from 89 to 98..

As for info on the sr20...what do you need to know? be more specific..one thing that anyone should want to change immediately, in my opinion, is the head gasket. It is made from a paper like material..i wouldnt think it could handle the pressure made by a 200+ engine for a super long time..and if whoever is planning on making mods on it, plan on seeing the head gasket go to ****

but anyways, dont go for an sr20. After shipping and installation, and tuneup and not knowing the possible mileage, and the headaches of emissions and laws against the sr20...what the **** is the point..turbo the truck engine and spank every sr20 powered s13/14 you see..

·
Registered
257 Posts
As I said RB20 swap is badass but also a RB25 or RB26 or even a 2jZ <that would be sweet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.