ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got off my a$$ and worked on the 280zxt today. So I got some "input" for you guys around here with T-5 trannys. Seeing as I was looking for this info here to no avail.

First off
I have a 83 280zx turbo 2+2.
I pulled another T-5 out of a Z31(300zx 84-89).

At first glance I could tell that the bell housing on the Z31 tranny was elongated. I blew this off at the time of purchase.

So as I dug into the project of replacing the unit with 1/4 million miles on it I found this...

The input shaft from the Z31 t-5 tranny is approximately 4" longer than that of the 280zxt. I studied the situation and decided to start fooling with the 2 seeing as I was not going to be able to get another tranny for some time. I pulled off the input shaft housing, which simply unbolts from the front of the transmission with 4 bolts. FYI The T-5 is not METRIC! After carefully studing tham I tried switching them. The input shaft simpy slides out once you get to the correct angle due to a slot in the shaft. I found that the bearings inside the input shaft were relitively new. The wear pattern on the gears was a different story. Anyway, the input shaft from the 280zx fits on the z31 tranny. However the input shaft from the z31 will not fit the 280zxt! I found that this was due to shortened output shaft! It was actually longer in the 280zxt! About 1.5cm longer. And the z31 input shaft is not drilled out far enough to fit them together with out serious contact. There is a coupler bearing that looks like a thrust bearing inside the input shaft that hold the input and the output shafts mated together. There was enough surface contact between the z31 tranny and the 280zxt
input to be deamed acceptable by me.

I hope this info will help anyone out there playing with this question.

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Did you count the number of teeth on both of those input shafts? I checked this out just about a month ago and none of the internal gears were even close to being the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.