ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to hit 197000 mi in my 1988 z31. It's getting rougher to shift already replaced the master clutch cylinder. They quoted me $1,100 at Aamco. To replace the clutch. I think I can do better. What about you?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm about to hit 197000 mi in my 1988 z31. It's getting rougher to shift already replaced the master clutch cylinder. They quoted me $1,100 at Aamco. To replace the clutch. I think I can do better. What about you?
you can do better. you could even do it yourself. i would find out exactly what the problem is first.

how do you know the clutch is bad? is it slipping? how's the oil in the transmission? is it the original clutch? if not, when was it replaced last do you know? did you replace the slave cylinder?
is it grinding or just not going into gear? making noise?

don't take it to a franchise shop. go to a Japanese specialty shop or a somewhere where they specialize in Zcars or take it to an old 'ma and 'pop shop with older, more experienced mechanics who have been around awhile. you can also get with the Zcar clubs in your area and they can help you too.

Bon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  1. I took it to Alse Auto in El Cahon. They did a new clutch , new water pump, new alternator belt -$880 out the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts