ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a zcar and I was wondering what the difference between a Z and a ZX is. Is it the engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
> I'm in the market for a zcar and
> I was wondering what the difference between
> a Z and a ZX is. Is it the engine?

Ok the z is the basic car and the zx has the add onss like air c. and cruse contral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
The Z is the classic sports car. made from 70(69) to 78. its models ran from the 240z, denoting the 2.4 litre straight six engine, the 260z, it had a 2.6 litre straight six engine, and the 280z, which had a 2.8 litre straight six. In 1979, Datsun-Nissan, decided that its new model line should offer a little more luxury in their sports cars, making them a sports/GT car. The X in 280ZX denoted extra luxury and so from 1979 to 1996 the Z was renamed ZX. The number in front of the Z/ZX has always denoted the engine literage. When the 300ZX came out, It sported a new 3.0 litre V-6.

So, depending on whether you want a balls-out stripped down sports car go for the Z, or want a little more luxury (at the cost of about 1000 pounds extra) go for the ZX. Of course you can always spiff out your Z to make it every bit as nice as a ZX, but aftermarket T-Top jobs are not my idea of a good time!

Did i miss anything guys?
JoeZ

> I'm in the market for a zcar and
> I was wondering what the difference between
> a Z and a ZX is. Is it the engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
> So, depending on whether you want a
> balls-out stripped down sports car go for
> the Z, or want a little more luxury (at the
> cost of about 1000 pounds extra) go for the
> ZX.

Hey! The 280Z and 280ZX weighed about the SAME ( 2800 pounds ) at the time of model change! In fact, the ZX was a little lighter! Let's keep this honest, no crap about the ZX being incredibly heavier. And FWIW, the 280ZX Turbo blows away the lightest 240Z re. power/weight ratio.

> Of course you can always spiff out your
> Z to make it every bit as nice as a ZX, but
> aftermarket T-Top jobs are not my idea of a
> good time!

To each his own.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

Just say, Your car is what you make it: they're all kits. Etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
The Z designation ended with the 1979ZX. The Z also was the basic original body style which many of us prefer. Very basic and sporting. When the ZX designation started the options list and price started going up and only stopped when it priced itself out of the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
> Hey! The 280Z and 280ZX weighed about the
> SAME ( 2800 pounds ) at the time of model
> change! In fact, the ZX was a little
> lighter! Let's keep this honest, no crap
> about the ZX being incredibly heavier. And
> FWIW, the 280ZX Turbo blows away the
> lightest 240Z re. power/weight ratio.

> To each his own.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

> Just say, Your car is what you make it:
> they're all kits. Etc.
Dud I agree
the zx is nice and fast
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top