ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now,let's just set therecord straight here.the 78 is probably the most collectable of the 280 version of the Z there is..I saw a 78 280 totally restored a a Nissan Dealership and the price was $35,000.So don't give me any crap about the Z being valuable only to enthusiasts.I was really more interested in getting a web sight or address to price older cars(like NADA!!).most only go as far as 84.And if the car is only valuable to the enthusiast market,then the PONTIAC is just the same way!!!If you agree with me,then let's see some support!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Not just Pontiac.

The 78 is the most collectable of the Z's huh? How many of you agree with that? How many support that the 240 is a less desirable car? Why didn't Nissan buy back 280s then? I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings, If you revisit my post you will see I included myself and current vehicle in the inference. My car is relatively low valued as well, the same variety of car with high mileage, rust and small problems, but it is my choice of transportation. I could afford a new car or truck like anybody elses plain brown-wrapper. I have seen a recent sale ad selling a 69 one owner Le Mans for 13000. This is a rediculous price for what the car is, as it is not that special. I'm sure the car you saw had some reason for being so high a price as there are some special cars. In all honesty it is probably just some dealer trying to make a profit. We all know you don't make money restoring cars unless someone else is paying you to do it. But take a notice of all the old street rods around? Who is driving these and building them? Just about exclusively guys that are older. Who is driving/building and modifying the muscle-cars? Tons and tons of people from all walks of life! I said Americana, not just Pontiac that includes T-birds, Vette, Cobra, Must, Mopar,etc. Who is driving/building, etc Z's and ZX's alot fewer people than muscle cars. Who can deny that. You are correct in saying that they are enthusiast cars, they all are. In my opinion, my 83 ZXT is the culmination of all the best of a car that had a very successful span of sales(z/zx). I don't think you should get upset when you got what you asked for, someones opinion. Your probably gonna see a lot of posts from people saying their car is the most desirable, and to them, it is. For I think they are all niche cars.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Not just Pontiac.

Mike did say "most collectible of the 280s". However the first gen 280s only spanned 1975 to 1978. I'd say the first year of the FI 280 in 1975 is just as valuable as the last year of 1978. None of them can touch the 240 for value in identical condition cars. I'd like to see what the dealer actually gets for the $35000 280z. Asking price means very little when it's not the norm. A $35K 1978 is definitely not the norm. There is also a big jump between 35000 dollar collectible cars and daily drivers. When Nissan was redoing their 240s it seemed anybody that had a 240 automatically thought that just increased the value of their car. It may have increased interest, but it didn't add any value to the cars. For awhile there all the z's in the local papars jumped up about 1-2 thousand over there actual value. The hype died down and they are back to their normal selling price. I still say look at the multitude of z's in local neswpapers to base your value on rather than the one crazy dealer asking 35K for a "restored" z.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Market Driven...Yes.</b>

$35k for any of the first generation cars is nuts.... Even the cars Nissan had restored only went for $29,500. I saw two of the ones that didn't sell in LA at the West Coast Nationals. Which is what their asking price was.... Doesn't mean they were going to get it. Today I picked up an AutoTrader... it had a 72 with a Rebello engine... all the goodies from Motorsport listed... including the Airo kit... The ad said over $30k invested... So what does that mean... The owner kept on dumping money into it before he got it right or what....??? His asking price was $19.5k

I think this guy is blowing smoke.... or has drank way to much before he wrote the ad.

Dennis

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fact: Z's have low market value

Mike wrote:
"So don't give me any crap about the Z being valuable only to enthusiasts."

Enthusiasts usually are the ones that pay more, although current market surveys indicate z values remain low.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Fact: Z's have low market value

I'll give you that crap and you'll like it, hehe. And it's the truth for me anyway. I have to pull back from stuff and cars that I see because I am one. I have to remind myself continually that this stuff could be found cheaper if I wait. And that is why I like some of these cars I like. Because they aren't Mustangs or Camaros. Would like to have a GT-40 or Pantera and 65 fastback Mustang. They are more valuable to me then the bank will value them.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Value is a personal thing</b>

I have an 83ZX I bought in 91 for $3600. it had 68000 miles at the time and was a steal because it was in excellent shape. I passed up alot due to body rust. 8 years, 57,000 miles, and $9000 dollars later,on top of pruchase price, I have a beeeuutiful black darth vader automobile with Motorsports body kit and wing. turns heads and blows alot of them away. I autocross it and take it to shows. Wouldnt sell it for anything. Guess Im an ENTHUSIAST! By the way Im not OLD, im 31. But by god Ill be gray and wearing a beanie some day while driving it!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Value versus price</b>

Value is more like amount of utility purchased for price. My z for $800 was the best value I ever tied into in all the cars I have purchased (possible exception: $600 datsun 510 that WILL NOT DIE). So you won't get rich reselling them, but look at how cheap it is to drive such a splendid car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

According to the car valuation book,
my '76 280Z is worth the same as a '87 Porsche 924s...
($5000)

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts

a few years back when the government trashed my Z, I went a-shoppin' for car values (the old "If your car isn't worth the damage, we'll just settle for the value of the car" kinda deal) WELL, I called a buddy 'o mine who's in the insurance biz, and he looked up Z-cars in his little book. He was amazed to find the values in all catagories on the page for the year were in triple digits, EXCEPT for the Z (and VW Bug, Porsche, Corvette...)
Well, he wrote me a nice note on letterhead and the government paid me my $1700. Value indeed is relative, but if you have good relatives, they add to your value...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.