ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 280Z, or a 280ZX. It is shaped like a ZX and has 'Fairlady' next to the gear stick below the radio. It has every feature bar TURBO, but on every point elsewhere it says it is a 280Z (ie panels, rego). When I first got it and cleaned it out, I found (probably by coincidence) a japanese coin in underneath the driver-side carpet. Can anyone help me in defining what it is?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
> I have a 1979 280Z, or a 280ZX. It is shaped
> like a ZX and has 'Fairlady' next to the
> gear stick below the radio. It has every
> feature bar TURBO, but on every point
> elsewhere it says it is a 280Z (ie panels,
> rego). When I first got it and cleaned it
> out, I found (probably by coincidence) a
> japanese coin in underneath the driver-side
> carpet. Can anyone help me in defining what
> it is?

It is a Yen.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a 1979 280Z, or a 280ZX. It is shaped
> like a ZX and has 'Fairlady' next to the
> gear stick below the radio. It has every
> feature bar TURBO, but on every point
> elsewhere it says it is a 280Z (ie panels,
> rego). When I first got it and cleaned it
> out, I found (probably by coincidence) a
> japanese coin in underneath the driver-side
> carpet. Can anyone help me in defining what
> it is?

I had a 1979 Zx awhile back myself. 1979 is when they started making the zx. Sounds like to me that the previous owner took a trip to pick and pull, found the z section and started pulling parts without thinking, mixing up emblems and interior panels from various other models. It would be interesting to find out where they got the fairlady panel. Your car would be a zx.
Dodie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You must have an imported car

> It is a Yen.

The Fairlady was the name given to the 280Z/ZXs in other markets. Sounds like you have an imported used car. Maybe somebody (US embassy, foreign service, etc.) lived in another country, bought the car there and when they moved back, had the car shipped back too. Just my theory. The parts swapping theory doesn't sound as plausible because of the foreign coin. Somebody will argue that if your car is a left-hand drive, then it can't be a Japanese import (they're right-handed), but there are other foreign markets for the fairlady with left-hand drive. Maybe it was Indonesian or Korean, or who knows.

It's a 280ZX in America, regardless of the name on the emblems.

Alex

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Assuming you are in Australia, by your email address, it probably is a right hand drive. And since Nissan markets them differently everywhere, you probably have an import from japan.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.