Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the lazy: <http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=3&i=227292&t=226932>

In the FAQ it says "Begin with some cheap clears." Define "cheap clears." Where does one acquire the plastic neccessary to cut out the lens? Any tips for cutting the lenses to fit?

Zazu specific:

1) How is the electrical tape holding up? Is it still adhereing well or did summer heat work on it?

2) Are you satisfied with the look?

3) It says "hopefully soon a new 3rd brake light." Did you ever get one? If so, where's the old one? It looked pretty black to me, and a lot blacker than mine--maybe we could hook something up.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Check hardware/lighting stores for flourescent light panels, they're like $5-ish for a huge panel.

I cut mine with a dremel, using the thin metal cutting wheel (of course I first traced it with a sharpie) be very precise. Obviously don't try scissors or anything stupid like that (crack!)

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Seems like he used fluorescent light diffusers for the clear parts... Or the E-bay kit as Mickie said...
I wouldn't use electrical tape.... it'll slip in the heat. High temp Silicone would be good.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
1) How is the electrical tape holding up? Is it still adhereing well or did summer heat work on it?

The tape is holding up better than anything. Perfect lines, no mess - I would NOT recommend silicon. I used that to reseal a T-top gasket tear, yuck. While the double sided tape on my pillar pod was melting in the Tennessee heat - the pinstripes didnt budge. Definite success there.

2) Are you satisfied with the look?

Eh.. better then orange tails IMO - but I prefer the real deal. Defnitely not a long term replacement. A kid in Honda came up to me at the gas station on Sunday and commented on my "nice Jspecs". They are suitable for what I paid for them ;) Click here for a recent pic.

(I have a secret project planned for this summer involving them ;) stay tuned)

3) It says "hopefully soon a new 3rd brake light." Did you ever get one? If so, where's the old one? It looked pretty black to me, and a lot blacker than mine--maybe we could hook something up.

Nope - never got it... spending money on too much Zing and not much bling! Still havent installed the tranny cooler yet... dang! Check the website for a current mod list

oh.. and "cheap clears" are ebay ones. ask B - he bought em.

Post Edited (Jan 9, 9:17pm)

·
Registered
983 Posts
There are some ebay kits that are a total ripoff. They're advertised as a kit for clearing your stock USDM lights. Basically what it ends up being is simply two pieces of cheap plastic cut to fit. This is something you could easily DIY with materials found at a lighting or hardware store.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Sorry.. I was thinking electrical tape was being used to anchor something... forgot all about the lines... Duh.. silicon! what an idiot I am... sorry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does any one have a side by side pic of the bootleg option vs the real deal? I've seen both seperately at diff't times and can't remember disliking either. I guess its either's better than amber...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
so what ya doin with them when you get your real ones mr. Pilot?? I know of some poor lil kid that'd like em'.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
well i got 2nd dibs! - if you let them go. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.