ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy... Does anyone happen to know what size speakers are supposed to go in the stock speaker holes in a '77? Kinda want to know what to go buy before I rip apart my car...

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>re speakers</b>

They are 5 1/4 or 5 1/2" I can't remember. It is an industry wide standard speaker size. All speakers for car audio at least ie 6x9 there are no 6x8's get the idea?

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
117 Posts
RE: Thanks for the info ya'll...

Brett - have I got the answer for you. I spent about 3 weeks researching this issue. As a musician and audio enthusiast I have access to a lot of data of speakers. I searched the net, catalogs and stereo shops looking for a heavy duty speaker for this application. The factory speaker and sheet metal depressions are not - I repeat ARE NOT - standard. The factory (Hatachi) speaker is a non standard 4.6 inches (some kind of metric thing no doubt). A 5 1/4" speaker will not fit unless you want to butcher your car. I'll save you (and me) a lot of time and cut to the chase - go to RADIO SHACK (don't laugh) and buy P/N 40-1284 this is a really decent 5" (odd size) speaker with a 10oz magnet (about as big as will fit in the depth avaliable) and a wizzer cone. You will have to grind the speaker frame a little to get it to fit the depression (get out your bench or hand grinder). The bolt holes line up fine. One last thing - put some fiberglass insulation in the cavity behind the speaker and run a bead of silicone around the speaker opening before mounting the speaker (damps the sheet metal and reduces any resonance/buzz).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.