ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raced Mustang V6's from a stop to top end and beat them all the time. Whats going on here? I have an "83 280ZX , the only add on is an MSD and K&N filter, with this, maybe I have 145 hp if that much, While the Mustang V6's have, I think, 190 hp and much more torque than a Z.

Either Mustang owners can't drive or there's something else. Anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
613 Posts
Gearing, weight.

Thats it, the mustang is a fat pig, weighs too much, the mustangs does not have a good of gearing as the datsun either. Thats it really, and mustangs from 72 on blow millions of innocent goats.

-Emir

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Like stingray said less weight better gears. Also that ford motor sucks hehehe, the nissan motor(IMHO one of the best motors ever) is designed for performance while the v6 stang motor isnt exactly high performance(190hp out of a 3.8? what a joke! nissan can almost get that with a NA 4 banger). I wonder how mustang owners feeel about thier new cars getting smoked by 19+ year old stock Datsuns.

The moral of this story is: Mustangs suck!

Justin T

· Registered
539 Posts
Just like they said, the V6 is not for performance. They are econo engines made for better milage and lower insurance. It would be similar to installing a 4 cylinder in a Z32 2+2 (very slow).

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
How 'Bout "Rev Limiter"?

The Mustang will/should spank you until it hits it's rev limiter at 106 to 110mph. Since your car isn't so governed, you will walk away on the top end.
My wife blew by me in the Frontieer one day, and she hit the limiter at 98...
At that point I had it all cooked up to about 115, and blew by her while calling on the C.B. "Having a problem, dear? What's the problem, can't keep up?"
Same deal on the Mustang V-6. For V-6 Mustang strongpoints, go to banter and chat and read "So the cop walks up and says..."

· Registered
119 Posts
Re: Z beats Mustang V8's..Why? Cause it can

I tear open 5.0 stangs all the time. Part of it is the lack of skill of the Stang drivers, my quick response time, and the other part is my ZXT oWns them. :p

.Skip

· Registered
28 Posts
Why? don't be so surprised. the reason is because V6 mustangs vs L28 does not compare. I beat them all the time with my 77z. Now, about the 5.0 mustangs that is another story. Unless you have some work done to your car or he/she just can't race it at all, you will beat the mustang. Hey i love my 77z, but my 1988 Lx 5.0 even when it was stock would beat the L28. Don't get me wrong i love both cars. Each one has it purpose.

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Ooh, I'm next :D

I love taking apart 5.0s with my ZT. They think they are the fastest thing on the road, and they get regularly taken down by me.

I'm next after Kyle!!

· Registered
171 Posts
the ford 3.8 is a POS. In the newest model mustang it puts out the relatively respectable 190hp. However, in the 94-98(?) models, it put out like 160 or so, with a 5,000 rpm redline! I thought that was a joke so i tried revving my friends car higher, but it definately redlined!

· Registered
39 Posts
Re: Ooh, I'm next :D

My buddy had a V6 stang and I raced him a lot of times and he never come close,
until he put a 400HP 302 in it (then he beat me by a hair) or a 1/4 mile but the moral is that datsuns are very UNDERESTAMATED my z does 0-60 in 6.5 secs with only a new muffler and very light aluminum wheels.

PS: I hate 5.0 mustang drivers.......

· Registered
539 Posts
Re: Ooh, I'm next :D

Why do you hate "5.0 drivers"? I can assure you that the drivers of ANY car are not alike, they are just as different as a group of people walking down the street. I see many different people at Mustang and Z car meets. They range from mechanics to doctors. I guess you must hate your "buddy" because he is now a 5.0 driver. Did he become a different person after the engine swap? Grow up man!

Kyle

PS: I really am sad that you can't be my friend because I drive a Mustang.

· Registered
253 Posts
I know this is not about TURBO Z's but...

I L O V E racing GT's and LX's
Well, i'ts been more than a year now
:(

My ZXT has some mods including Add'l injectors, bigger turbo, intercooler and some other stuff (quite some) and I really love racing them. Even more than that, I LOVE BEING ABLE TO WAIT FOR THEM DURING A RACE, THEN STEPPING ON IT, THEN WAIT FOR IT AGAIN and repeat it about 3 times, it really shows them respect BIG TIME.
And my ego.......you know how I feel. (grin)

Really, mustangs 5.0 are my favorite adversaries.

Hey all! Be a responsible irresponsible racers. (traduction: we are already irresponsible by racing in the streets so try and be not so irresponsible and be careful)
I hope I explained it well.

CarlosZXT
Puerto Rico

· Registered
433 Posts
mustangs, are pos

who ever owns a mustang or a ford has some problems. I think it all started when they were children being taught that it's ok to drive a ford car. I go some news for yah forigen is the way to be, american cars can barly hold a candle to ricers out there. Yes I know the 280zxt is very slow when compaired to some of the new cars but with a few mods that car will smoke many, many cars out there.

Bottom line All Fords Sux.

tbs

· Registered
539 Posts
turbobluestreak

Are you brain dead? <"yah forigen is the way to be, american cars can barly hold a candle to ricers out there"> First, learn to spell correctly. You mention that your 280ZXT is "very slow when compaired to some of the new cars but with a few mods ..." Do you not think that with a few mods the fast cars get even faster too? Let me tell you, they sure can get faster! I can understand a person not liking a car or manufacturer because of some really bad experience. What I can not understand is someone who could hate a car simply because it is American. You sound like a **** terrorist. I think you are just mad because so many other cars are faster than yours. Well get over it! Someone else will ALWAYS be faster than you.

Kyle

· Registered
831 Posts
Re: Z beats Mustang V6's?

Stock time for all Zs before the 300s were pretty slow, 0-60 in the 7s or higher (260s were around 10 seconds!), and the 99+ V6 Mustang, which weighs 3180, (less than a 300z) and gets to 60 in 7.1 seconds. Not bad for a car that gets 28 Mpg, and has power steering, windows, mirrors, seats, no rust and a great radio, and clean exhaust.
There are many 99+ 3.8 Mustangs that run low 14s with very few bolt-on mods, and get into the 13s with a blower or nitros, pass emmisions and drive on the street every day.

I know this because I own 2 2000 3.8 Mustangs, and I've timed mine, and seen time slips, many are posted at V6power.net.
Stock 99+ hit the rev limiter at 113 Mph, but can be easily reprogrammed.
My 2000 Mustang is much steadier at 110 than my Z is at 90.

My 71 240z weighs about 2200lbs, has about 140 hp, (much less torque) no smog stuff (not required here in CA) and runs similar times to the Mustangs, is more fun to drive on short trips, and gets more attention, and is much more lovable.

As much as I love the Z, I still cannot even see a new 350Z, and will probably not be able to buy one, but anyone can own a new Mustang. Nissan priced the Z out of the Market, due to bad decisions, and Mustangs keep rolling off the assembly line. Ford has made alot of crappy Mustangs, but they have recovered, and the new ones are pretty nice. For under 20K you can get a 4.6 GT that will hit high 13s right from the factory. I'd like to see Nissan be competitive when the new Z comes out.

· Registered
196 Posts
Re: Z beats Mustang V6's?

Just remember boy's they're is "no replacement for displacement".
If the mustang folks you raced (dragged) didn't beat you they don't care about performance and so most likely don't care you beat them. If you were to put equal time and money into a stock Z and a stock 5.0, the 5.0 would win, it's just simple physics 2.8L engine is just no match for a 5.0L engine HOWEVER...., they are two diffrent cars. One is a MUSCLE car and the other is a SPORTS car. Take 'em on the street the Z gets owned Take 'em on the Track the mustangs get owned. Why can't we all just get along?
By the way this is starting to sound like a RICER forum. Doesn't sound like the Z drivers I know. Just try to respect all cars for what they are. (Kia's and Hyundai's exluded)
Peace out, and leave any nasty backlashes at me in my e-mail
Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.