ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 280ZX. I need some help. I've got an Aiwa CDC-MP3 player up front, a nice set of pioneer 6 1/2's in the back, and stock speakers up front (faded to the back until I can find out how to get to that center speaker without tearing apart my dash of frustration.) I've also got a 300w Jensen amp Powering a Pioneer 400w 12" in the back.

Now, I need some help. I'm about to either have a chance to get a nice set of Polk 5 1/4 speakers for the front, or get the stock front speakers replaced. what should I do? Should I hack up my lovely door panels? I also hate the location of the speakers in the rear. Is it possible to take out the rear storage compartments, and substitute a peice of sheet metal (screwed in, of course) for the flooring, and then cut holes for my Speakers in that? I'm not sure what to do, honestly. I've heard of people doing that. Anyone care to show me?

Thanks again guys. I wanna hear what you guys have in your cars, and pictures, maybe?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a A Sony 850x head with sony 6x9s in the back. I got one of those speaker panel's available through MSA off of ebay for cheap but you could make one too, that is what I would recommend for the back. As for the front I'm in the same dilema as you, if you get any ideas post them for all to see. now the subwwofer, do you really need it, the z is a pretty small car and even some 6.5 speakers should do the job just fine. If you insist on keeping it though I hace heard of a lot of people putting their subwoofer where the spare tire is supposed to go. hope this helps some

·
Registered
225 Posts
taking the dash out is the only way of getting to the center speaker and thats no fun, i also wouldnt recomend putting your speakers in the rear storage compartments, i have tried it and it doesnt sound so well i would suggest in building some small boxes and carpeting them to the color of your interior and mounting them facing you and the passenger about half way back in the hatchback floor.
I have an 83' 280zx n/a in which i have a CD8051 ECLIPSE cd player with 3 sets or preamp outs 1 pair of JL Audio VR series tweets mounted on the a-pillers up front ,and a pair of JL Audio VR 6 1/2's in boxes on top of the copartment lids and a set of JL W3 12's in a leather covered MDF box.. mids and tweets powered by a Coustic 480 four channel amp and a Phoenix Gold ZX400ti amp powering the subs.

Check out( jlaudio.com) ,(phoenixgold.com), and (eclipse-web.com)
they have alot of pics of the equipment i mentioned.
Good Luck

·
Registered
887 Posts
It just so happens that my neighbor owns a stereo shop and I've been into them for a while.two 10s will work great and not take alot of space if done this way,fire the subs to the rear of the car thus placing the box right behind the seats,as bass travels to the back it pressureises the hatch erea and as it r tries to return to the front it will pick up 3db.,every time the bass hits itself it will pick up 3db and you will hit like 12s w/good power.as for a center channel that is pretty simple,in the middle of the subs box facing forward place a 4" mid in its own inclosure and this is the neat part,place your tweeter in the back side of the rear view mirror,use a drimmel to mod. the plastic and this will give you a super clean look as well as bitch'n imaging,some people use two tweets in the mirror.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I always thought it would be cool to take out that peice of metal behind the seats that holds the plastic storage compartmets and make a triangular box running the width of the car to fit the same hole, and have a couple of 10's facing up or mabee even towars the seats, completely invisible.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Less chat, more hat.

I have a custom flush enclosure for my MB Quart 8" subwoofers where these guys are putting their 6x9s, they wired in parallel. I have Infinity Kappa 5.25" full range coaxles in the rear deck, they're a good fill. The front speakers are an MB Quart 5.25" midrange with a 1" Alpine tweeter. The amplifier for the four midrange/tweeters is a Kicker IX404 putting 40watts per it's 4 channels. Driving the subwoofers (amp) is a KAS-629S putting out 125 watts at 3 ohms. The head unit is a Kenwood 817, with the front speakers crossed over at 150Hz, and the rear crossed over at 120Hz. The subwoofers take care of everything else.

The problem is, I don't have enough sound deadener in my 1979 280ZX. That's the next step, but I'll do that when I have the seats redone.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Re: Less chat, more hat.

By the way, I would recommend cutting into your doors. The sound is MUCH MUCH better than the dash. And I would advise 6.5" mids and 1" tweeters. It's a perfect match, and you could never blow it out!

Plus two 10" JL in a phatty box with a good kicker amp with base control (remote) will solve ALL your problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts

ok guys lets see here, i have a sony head unit with a 500w amp under the set 4 channel, 6.5 in the bottom of doors sony's. and matching tweeters in the top of the doors with a slight angle towards me and the pass. 6x9 in the space behind the seats and two 8" bazookas one with a built in amp in the rear area facing toward the back of the car. now i dont get that thump every one likes to hear outside the car but when you sit in the car it has a clean crisp sound with plenty of bass that you can listen for a long ime withno distortion. i am real happy with ths set up. good luck on your choice. seems like every really enjoys their tunes. leo 80zx.

·
Registered
274 Posts

'83 ZXT

Sony Head Unit/Sony changer.
Hafler 100w/ch amp driving ADS 5.25 " in custom door enclosures.
Rockford/Fosgate 22.5 w/ch amp drivng pioneer 6.5's in stock rear speaker holes.
Rockford/Fosgate Punch 100 bridged mono driving Competition 12" sub in 1.75 cu foot enclosure.

Changer and Sub amp mounted to enclosure w/disconnects, which can be taken out for trips/hauling.

More than enough for anyone in the car, and doesn't pound the area....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.