ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sneaking over here from the 70-83 board for an answer. I have a 300zx coil in my 240 and I'm testing the resistance on it and it specs out fine at the primaries with .9 ohms but the secondary output side is at 20,000 ohms. The book that I have listed that it should only be at 10K. Would this be why I can't pull in the higher rpms?

Also, what is the "ignition amplifier"? Should I be using this device in addition to the coil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Stock Igntion Amplifier must be used in conjunction with the coil it is a Must on transistor assisted ignitions. What do you mean you cant pull in the higher RPMs is the car falling flat on its face or is it breaking up in the higher RPMS?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If the Z31 coil is out of spec then it is untrustworthy until proven otherwise.
What igniton system is it being used with? A 280ZX dizzy and module?

I have seen dubious 280ZX ignition conversions in 240/260Z that powered the 280ZX coil through the old ballast resistor, resulting in misfire at upper revs and loads.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve, yeah, it's basically falling flat on it's face. I can't pull past 4700ish rpms. There is no breaking up to it but it just won't pull. Would that transistor work in conjunction with the 280zx IC unit or should I just go ahead and buy a standard performance coil which I'm really starting to lean towards.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
With a cam that claims to be good for 6000rpm, a standard in-spec 280ZX coil should be fine with a 280ZX dizzy+module combo.
The Z31 power transistor is controlled by the ECU and not required unless you are using ECCS.
In your case I would be inclined to ensure that the dizzy mechanical advance is working correctly and that your base timing allows it to achieve recommended max advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.