ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
i think hybrid should take a look at it as he is going to do a rebuild , 8500 rpms must sound interesting on our engines dont you think?, how concrete do you think this info is? if it is totally fact and reliability is not compromised that would mean our engine has alot of more potential than i thought.im saving that site on my favs

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I want to buy a vg33 block and with head work, cams, new intake manifold, injectors and headers I want to see waht kind of performance potential I can get without a turbo.

Then, if need be, I'll worry about a turbo when I start craving more power.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No where does it say that you can bore a 3.0 out and it will work. It only says that if you were to bore a 3.0 out to 3.3, it would have the same wall thickness. There is still the matter of water passages:

"minor water routing differences. "

You need to address that issue before you start thinking about boring it out.

Or, you can try and bore it out, and then tell us afterwords that it doesn't work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What they are talking about is if you were able to bore a VG30 to 3.3L they would have the same cylinder wall thickness, Ok great. Let me say this again it CANNOT be done!!! Have you seen a bare VG30 BLock? if you have you would notice how it cant be done. And if you still dont believe me take your block to any competent machine shop and have them laugh at you.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You might be able to get 3.3L of displacement out of a VG30 block by boring out a little bit and putting shorter connecting rods in or fabbing a custom crank with a longer stroke. I'm almost certain that it cannot be done by boring the cylinders out alone. thats why Nissan had to change the water passages to make teh vg33 block...

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have an n/a longblock sitting on the side of my house ,if i can convince my dad that it is not worth trying to sell i might take it apart anmd start from scratch as a project motor,but this wont be for atleast a year but if i do it i will let you guys know. and if it cant be done then atleast a rev limiter 2000 rpms higher would make it a whole another monster (if you can find springs to do the job).

·
Registered
185 Posts
"if you have you would notice how it cant be done"--If you know so much, please tell us WHY it cannot be done. I would LOVE to know."

If you would have paid attention to other other posts in this and other threads about this you would have read that the placement of coolant passages prevents the VG30 block from being bored. When I had my block stripped down the first time I took a glance to see if it was possible and it clearly is not. Stop believing everything you read on the intraweb and get some hands on experience before commenting on a subject you have no clue about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yowl need to stop arguing for no reason ... you don't have to bore it out so much just do 3.1 ( I don't rely know if you can bore the VG30 in to VG33 but i do know you can take VG33 and bore it to VG34) balance the engine and I mean balance it realy good(basicly find a shop, a good shop -and tell them, that you bilding a very high rpm engine and that you need to balance this engine to the best they can do .. or something like that)unless you wanna se one off your pistons come flying out from under the hood .do all valve angles on it ,of course pot new gaskets , definitely change all the bolts to a higher torque application bolts and all that good stuff ... take the rev. off..
Reprogram your pcm and ecu .. of course different ..higher compression fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors... carbon drive-shaft then figure out if you wanna run a turbo on it (would be a very good idea) , and with these engine being balanced and new valves and higher compression valve springs installed you will have no problem going over 9500 rpm mark ..well probably new camshafts and most definitely check your crank shaft for cracks.....

Post Edited (Nov 6, 3:01am)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I'm sure a VG30 can hold 3.3 liters, but like I said you may need to do more than just bore it out. you may need to give it a longer stroke too with shorter rods and a custome made crank.

·
Registered
185 Posts
"Well, these people obviously know what they're talking about, and since you only took a "glance" at yours, I'm more inclined to believe them."

Ok anyone with any experience of any kind of automotive machining will tell you in 5 seconds it cant be done. Its not that hard to figure out that there are coolant passages in the way unless your a complete idiot. Ohh and these people do not know what they are talking about quoted from the link you provided "rods have potential for around 600hp and 25+psi on the stock bottom end" yea sure they do, stock internals are only good till about 450HP. But believe anything you want and since they obviously know what there talking about and I dont go take your block to any machinist and tell them to bore it out and when they tell you it cant be done tell them you read on the intraweb it can and im sure theyll do it for you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It might be possible with a 84-86 engine and heads. Three new water passages were added near the exhaust valves in 1987. These are known as 'W' engines. Alot of if's, and I'm not sure what you would gain on a cost vs performance aspect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It cannot be done on a W series or non W series motor. The extra displacement is not needed on these motors to make power. Swapping in a VG33 is also a waste of time and money IMO. Stick with the VG30

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.