ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the water threshed up in brilliant plumage around the sides of my windshield. And then the engine began make a weird noise. The noxious surprise puddle was perhaps 4-6 inches deep. The noise sounded like a mechanical drone, with no misfires that I could tell, but it was there in all RPM in the gears I went through. I ran it in 3rd at medium RPM for a while, preparing for a stall, and it faded away after about 30-40 seconds.

Everything seems to run fine now, no noises since, smooth and idles well. Is it possible to suck some water into the engine and keep running? Any permanent damage from this sort of thing?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You could have gotten lucky and the amount of water that came through did not hydrolock your motor but made you plugs wet for a few turns.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i also ran through a puddle, but i got no response from my engine. it didn't lock upand i coasted for about ten seconds with no throttle response. Shortly after constant pumps of the gas peddle, everything was fine, that was about 2 years ago, and It still runs fine. with no problems at all. I know it problrably doesn't answer your question, but it may ease your worries a little. i don't know for sure about lasting damage though. sorry.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the only way to tel if it was a hydrolocking issue would be to pull the noe panel and check the air filters to see if they're damp.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Well, by definition. Hydro meaning water and lock meaning well lock. In order to hydrolock an engine the motor would be locked up not turning over. You dont hydrolock a motor and keep driving the car around. Now enough of me being a smartass I know what you're getting at the only way to know if water made its way into the intake track would be to check out the filter and the piping to see if its wet.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The odd noise you heard was from water interference around the radiator, the fan, and all the drive belts. I am extremely doubtful that your engine actually ingested any water, since this is surefire destruction.

If you sprayed a water hose into the grille openings and underside at the belt area while the engine is running, I believe you would hear a similar weird sound. While the drive belts will dry out and recover from water exposure, they will make some strange noises before that happens.

These are big factors when cruising your Z32 into a deep puddle - is the forward lower undertray in place or removed? Have you removed the oem intake and fitted a pop charger? Both of these areas are extremely vulnerable to water intrusion, and must be shielded and protected.

EverettDave will always avoid large puddles at all costs. If Golden Bullet encounters one, and there is no way to avoid it, the best advice is to creep VERY slowly through, hence preventing water splashing up into the critical parts. Best Advice - avoid all deep puddles !!!!

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a POP and the black plastic part that covers the front cowl is removed. I have to see if there is a shield in there, but I don't think so. The belt theory makes sense to me. I need to clean my filter, so when I get it apart I'll see what the water path is in there.

There has been constant rain around here for days, and the roads are so wet it's hard to tell where these puddles are now. I try to avoid them if I can. :)

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
thats why you get a "beater" he..he.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.