ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '82 ZX which around Thanksgiving started giving me trouble when it got down below freezing in NC.

Now I'm back in N. Florida and it has been getting cold here too . . . . around 23 F a couple of night and below freezing several times.

I'm pretty sure it all has something to do with the cold start valve, but when it is cold, I don't seem to be getting all that much cranking off of a brand new battery (thankfully it was under warranty). I've jump started it a couple of times and the engine just didn't seem to be firing as much as it should.

My understanding is the battery and alternator are just fine. I checked the cold start valve today by disconnecting the s lead to the starter, the L lead to the alternator and jumpers to the valve with no fuel flow.

My understanding is that this means the valve needs to be replaced, but I just want to be fairly sure this is my problem.

Also, could this valve, if it is the problem, be causing my cold cranking troubles as far as the battery is concerned?

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Check your fuel pressure first. You may be draining back due to a faulty check valve on the pump. It will take a bit for it to build pressure back up. Test cold start circuit per FSM. I could be a faulty thermotime switch. The cold cranking problems might be a cause of the battery running down quickly but I would think you would have to crank for quite a few minutes without starting for a brand new battery to run down, even at 23d. Try squirting a bit of starting fluid into the intake (you can do it through one of the vacuum connections). If it starts right up and keeps running then most likely in cold start circuit. If it starts but won't keep running then you might have an air leak or low fuel pressure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.