ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wants to join a health club (she could use it)and it will cost a bunch. I started talking about needing to paint the roof, hatchback and front and rear spoiler. She says might as well paint the whole **** car. I said (of course) I guess you are right dear.. I think she will join the health club and I will get a new paint job. Any comments on Maaco? I had them paint my last Z after I did all the body work and prep and it was a good job. But that was 15 years ago. Comments please..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never seen a good job from Maaco, but a few bad ones. And for us navy types, I can say don't let an AMH paint it, even if he works in the acft paint shop. Pay the extra and get a great paint job!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: getting a good paint.

> I've never seen a good job from Maaco, but a
> few bad ones. And for us navy types, I can
> say don't let an AMH paint it, even if he
> works in the acft paint shop. Pay the extra
> and get a great paint job!

Grandpa,

I think it has a lot to do with the shop and how much the painter cares about your car. But more importantly it has to do with how much money you have and are willing to spend.

When I shopped around here in SLC, maaco was $750-$1,000 for a good paint, and a top notch shop was $3,000+. And that's just light masking and spraying.

If you go with Maaco, just make sure they know what your expectations are. Also, if you haven't, consider removing all trim accessories, everything. It's a lot of work, but will make a huge difference, especially since you're changing colors. Scuff and degrease all the surfaces, inside doors, under hood, everywhere. They probably won't do this part of the job adequately, time is money.

Lastly, check with your local autobody and paint suppliers for the best maaco or other shop. Most have a paint pro on staff that moonlights, and will shoot a car for less.

Sorry for the novel. But, I spent so many hours researching this, I hate to see someone not get all they can.

Good Luck,

Matt

PS. After all, I bought a gun and shot it myself in my garage. Wasn't perfect, but as good as or better than maaco, and I learned how to do it. Besides it was a blast. Total cost for paint was about $150.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re:Correct color

> Wife wants to join a health club (she could
> use it)and it will cost a bunch. I started
> talking about needing to paint the roof,
> hatchback and front and rear spoiler. She
> says might as well paint the whole **** car.
> I said (of course) I guess you are
> right dear.. I think she will join the
> health club and I will get a new paint job.
> Any comments on Maaco? I had them paint my
> last Z after I did all the body work and
> prep and it was a good job. But that was 15
> years ago. Comments please..

Grandpa,

After my long post on getting a good paint, I just realized that you need to be sure to pick a yellow that you've seen on a car. Maaco's standards colors, won't cut it. Find the car, go to a paint supply shop and have them look up a color number for you. Ferarri Yellow, Dodge Viper Yellow and Porsche Speed Yellow are all pretty similar and very, very bright.

Have fun.

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worked in a body/paint shop part time in 76-78. Last thing I knew of great in paint was Imron Poly. I do have a compressor and spray gun but would need a water seperator and no dust... I used to paint cars for the AMH gang too...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I know who to call on my next project. N/C

> I worked in a body/paint shop part time in
> 76-78. Last thing I knew of great in paint
> was Imron Poly. I do have a compressor and
> spray gun but would need a water seperator
> and no dust... I used to paint
> cars for the AMH gang too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts