ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, Nissan tried to sell controlling interest in their company to any taker. They are now 26.5 BILLION Dollars in debt. WHat this means, is that they have NO remaining money for development of new products (Read Z, Sentra, Maxima etc) Get used to the body styles they have now, either they'll be around another 4 years (retch) or the company is going under in the next few months (barring a last minute purchase by another company) Guess ya'll can guess what this means to the z-car cause in toto. If they go under, their parts will be liquidated to the highest bidder, and prices will become quite unreasonable for the Z's little bits and pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most old Z parts already sold off!!

> Last week, Nissan tried to sell controlling
> interest in their company to any taker. They
> are now 26.5 BILLION Dollars in debt. WHat
> this means, is that they have NO remaining
> money for development of new products (Read
> Z, Sentra, Maxima etc) Get used to the body
> styles they have now, either they'll be
> around another 4 years (retch) or the
> company is going under in the next few
> months (barring a last minute purchase by
> another company) Guess ya'll can guess what
> this means to the z-car cause in toto. If
> they go under, their parts will be
> liquidated to the highest bidder, and prices
> will become quite unreasonable for the Z's
> little bits and pieces.

From what I understand, Nissan already bid off the bulk of their stock in older model parts. They don't want to handle the storage etc. for parts with such low demand. I don't think anything will change if Nissan goes under, other than to increase the value of our Z cars (only a little).

Relax. If Nissan goes under, so be it. They couldn't coelesce around a vision while suffering from a poor repair reputation and they are paying the price. Not to say that I won't be sad if they go, but I'm realistic. And I love my father's '68 2000 and both my 76 and 77 280.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't Worry About Nissan Or Your Zcar (long)

First, wether or not Nissan goes under will have no effect on parts for your Z-Car. I can almost bet that 95% of the parts on your average 240,260, or 280 Zcar are no longer in production or used in new cars. Most parts that you get even at the dealership are no longer made by Nissan either. Some of them never were.

Second, Nissan is not going under. Yes, it is currently in serious debt, but the failing Japanese markey has hit all of the auto industry in Japan hard. Nissan is taking the biggest fall, also because of other factors as well. Nissan is still the #2 Japanese auto manufacturer.

Third, even if Nissan decides to 'throw in the towel', another one of the big companies will buy them out. While that may not be excatly what us Nissan/Datsun fanactics want right now, rest assured that the name Nissan will be around for a while.

Fourth, from what I have read I get the feeling that this really isn't going to be that big of a deal, as this is not making headlines. The information is somewhat burried in the business section. 35 Billion dollars sounds like a lot, but when you make that much a year in sales, it suddenly seems that much less important.

Anyone still interested, check out www.cnn.com. That's where I got my information.

jA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
My bet goes that there will always be parts for Z

Ok, the Z ranks highly as one of the most successful cars ever sold. And they have a strong following. And there are a lot of them out there. So, when the original Nissan parts start getting low and prices start increasing, it beomes profitable for someone to come along and start reproducing those parts. It's simple economics. Also, look at the original 65 Mustang, possibly the car that sold the greatest number of cars ever. You can still get pretty much every single part for that car at relatively low cost (unless you want concours original). Well, the Z sold a lot of cars, so in the same fashion expect to be able to find parts for your Z car for a long time at relatively low cost (I'm sorry, the idea of cheap parts for ANY car is pure nostalgia, it doesn't exist in reality).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
my supplier has 150 junk Z's...no worries

My supplier has 150 junk Z's here in VA. He's pretty reasonable too. I don't think that anyone is going to buy him out.

Z-on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where in VA?

> My supplier has 150 junk Z's here in VA.
> He's pretty reasonable too. I don't think
> that anyone is going to buy him out.

> Z-on

I'm in Staunton, at the junction of I-64 and I-81. Where is this Z yard? Where are you? Why isn't there a VA Z club instead of a NOVA and Tidewater Z clubs.

Alex Avery, '76, '77 280 and '68 2000 roadster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Virginia: Z Fest 99 May 15th

The Tidewater Z Car Club Presents

Z FEST 99

Come see Nissan/Datsun Z cars from all over the country
in the areas only Nissan and Z-Car specific show

May15 - Tidewater Nissan
12925 Jefferson Ave Newport News Va 23608
(757) 874-5333
9AM - 4PM

Award plaques and trophies in many categories including
Peoples' choice, Best of Show, Diamond in the Rough
and TZCC Choice.

This show is open to all Nissan/Datsun Z cars, regardless
of age or condition, Roadsters and 1969-1973 510's.
If you would like to enter your Datsun/Nissan Z, Roadster or
510 in the show, please complete the attached form and mail to

TIDEWATER Z CAR CLUB
P.O. BOX 1941
NEWPORT NEWS, VA 23601-1941

For more information call Todd Wagner at (757) 851-8098
or Email at [email protected] Additional point of contact
Paul Hollander (757) 495-3531

REGISTRATION

Name ________________________________________________________

Address _____________________________________________________

Phone _______________________________________________________

Z Club Affiliation? _________________________________________

I will: (check all that apply)
____be attending the show
____bring a Z car
____enter a Z car to be judged
____willing to judge

Vehicle: Year ____________ Model __________________________

Notes _________________________________________

Registration fees: $$$ qty size

Car Show (entrants) $20.00 ____ ____

After May 2 (entrants) $25.00 ____ ____

Additional Tee-shirts $12.00 ____ ____

Total $______

Please make checks/money orders payable to: Tidewater Z Car Club
Mail to P.O. Box 1941 Newport News VA 23601-1941
Price includes an event tee-shirt, dash plaque. Please specify
shirt size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Where in VA?

EAST COAST Z IN CHEASAPEAKE

ZN4GZUS

> I'm in Staunton, at the junction of I-64 and
> I-81. Where is this Z yard? Where are you?
> Why isn't there a VA Z club instead of a
> NOVA and Tidewater Z clubs.

> Alex Avery, '76, '77 280 and '68 2000
> roadster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the moniker!!

> EAST COAST Z IN CHEASAPEAKE

> ZN4GZUS

Is that your license plate? Love it!!!!!!

Jesus rocks!! Sorry all of you agnostics and atheists out there, but we believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Don't Worry About Nissan Or Your Zcar (long)

> First, wether or not Nissan goes under will
> have no effect on parts for your Z-Car. I
> can almost bet that 95% of the parts on your
> average 240,260, or 280 Zcar are no longer
> in production or used in new cars. Most
> parts that you get even at the dealership
> are no longer made by Nissan either. Some of
> them never were.

I've run into very few parts that are no longer available from Nissan for my 26 year old Z car. I just got a new horn button and window frame liners for the front windows from www.nissanautoparts.com and they are genuine Nissan. I even got an original battery tray plastic liner from courtesy nissan a year or so ago. You'd be surprised what is still available and reasonably priced from the right source.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top