ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought my car (87 na) it had battery problems from the jump. I knew that i planned on installing a powerful sound system so i put a brand new battery got a new alternator and put a 2.4 farad capacitor in it. when i start the car the battery needle idles at about 8 volts i have to rev the engine in order to get it up to around 14. Ive even taken the battery out and charged it to full potential last week to make sure that wasnt the problem. as im listening to my radio my needle is bouncing back and forth. with a 2.4 farad cap installed! has anyone else had this problem? what are some of your ideas on a solution?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the infinity perfect component system up front running at 111 rms from the new infinity ref. 4 channel amp. 2 3-way infinity kappa 6x9's in the back running at the same 111 rms as well. i also have two kicker mid woofers in the back along with a single 12" kicker l7 in a vented box running at the full 750 rms. so yeah i know im pulling a lot of power but the 2.4 farad cap should definately help. it doesnt seem like it was ever put it the car acts the exact same way

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
As Eastbay said - make sure the alternator belt is on nice and snug. When I did the maxima alternator swap and put the new belt in place I hadn't tightened it up and it would slip half of the time causing very similiar symptoms. When I revved the belt would catch and it would hold on for a few seconds more before it began slipping again.

I tightened up the belt and everything is working fantastically.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just as a place to start-Does the car act the same way with the capacitor and sound system not hooked up. How charged is the capacitor when you're loking at it. Capacitors take time to charge and replace what is being used. How does having the sound system in the car affect the actual electronics. Do the lights dim when your pushing the sound system?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had similar symptoms but my fix was even easier. I noticed after doing some work on the radio that my volt gauge was hovering lower than normal and I was getting alternator whine through my speakers. After checking I had forgotten to re-tighten the battery connections. They were sitting on there but not tightened down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tigga...

Who made the 2.4 farad cap and do you have the old invoice perchance with a part #? My parts store thinks that'd shorten the search from their end and it'd help me out a lot...Maker would be most helpful if ya can't find the old invoice, tho...Also, where did you install the cap...is there one already in line? Sorry to be so obtuse, but I'm having trouble locating it in the Haynes Manual.

Thanx!!

...Todd

Post Edited (Mar 31, 11:14am)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.