ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
83' 280zx
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have the wrong intake manifold for my 82 280zx. I’ve been having issues of it idling very high (2500-3000 rpm). I’ve replaced a lot of hoses, and put a new gasket on the intake and checked to see if it was warped (all good there). Only thing I notice now is that around the injectors there’s there small holes where the cast isn’t covering it. I sealed those off and it got better but still idling high. Only thing left I can’t think is the intake is the wrong one. I don’t know if there’s differences (going to the head wise) if the turbo intake and head would be different then the NA version. I’m not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions is appreciated.

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,769 Posts
I think I have the wrong intake manifold for my 82 280zx. I’ve been having issues of it idling very high (2500-3000 rpm). I’ve replaced a lot of hoses, and put a new gasket on the intake and checked to see if it was warped (all good there). Only thing I notice now is that around the injectors there’s there small holes where the cast isn’t covering it. I sealed those off and it got better but still idling high. Only thing left I can’t think is the intake is the wrong one. I don’t know if there’s differences (going to the head wise) if the turbo intake and head would be different then the NA version. I’m not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Your post seems to imply that you either have: (1) a turbo with a NA intake manifold, or (2) a non-turbo with a turbo intake manifold.

I may not understand your post, but can you please clarify?

· Registered
83' 280zx
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your post seems to imply that you either have: (1) a turbo with a NA intake manifold, or (2) a non-turbo with a turbo intake manifold.

I may not understand your post, but can you please clarify?
I do not know what exactly I have. It's suppose to be a NA manifold but I'm not sure at this point. When I can I'll take some pictures.

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,769 Posts
I do not know what exactly I have. It's suppose to be a NA manifold but I'm not sure at this point. When I can I'll take some pictures.
Sounds good. It will be interesting to see if anyone can identify them from a photo.

Do you know much about its history? Changing a manifold would imply that substantial work was done to it at some time in the past.

· Registered
83' 280zx
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. It will be interesting to see if anyone can identify them from a photo.

Do you know much about its history? Changing a manifold would imply that substantial work was done to it at some time in the past.
This car is in a million pieces, been told it it has been sandblasted, the motor rebuilt, the front suspension has been replaced, a lot of the engine accessories have been deleted and removed. Based on the missing bolts all of the body panels have been removed and painted. It's been thoroughly molested. Trying to undo some of what the pervious owners have done to it. Seems every owner couldn't figure out this same issue and selling it cause of it. If all else fails a LS is waiting on the sideline to go in it. Would like to enjoy the car before that happens though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts