ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i seem to have screwed something up on my Z. when i rebuilt the engine i somehow got the dist. drive in backwards. everyone i have asked said this made no difference performance-wise so i just left it and moved my plug wires accordingly. now the thing that i am not sure about is that it runns a lot better when i have it ALL the way advanced. why is this? i isntalled a schnieder racing cam that requires about a 1000 rpm idle and it seems to run fine with the dist all the way advanced but why is that like that?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ooopps!! sorry!

didnt mean to post twice it didnt show my first one didnt show up and i thought i messed it up. so just ignore one of em.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Re: ooopps!! sorry!

when you installed the oil pump, was the #1 cyl at TDC? The oil hole and punch mark on the oil pump must be aligned for proper installation... If my memory is correct, with the distribitor out, and the car at TDC, the oil pump shaft should have the smaller side of the semi-circle facing the front of the motor. The tall part of the shaft (part that drives the dizzy) should have one end pointing at the 11 o'clock position and the other at the 5 o'clock position. (in the correct alignment the shaft will look like it is 11:25 o'clock)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re: ooopps!! sorry!

Johnb510 is exactly right. And to go further, if you get the oil pump shaft a tooth off in either direction, it will still run, but you will have to move your dist all the way to it's limits (and beyond) to get it working right.

I know.

Easy enough to fix, though. With a helper, remove the dist. Have your helper clamp a pair of hemostats on the keyway of the oil pump drive spindle that is sticking out of the hole. Tell him not to let it drop.

You loosen all the bolts on the oil pump and slowly lower it (don't remove it). Have your friend follow the movement of the pump by slowly pushing on the spindle until he feels the resistance to side to side movement go away. (You have just disengaged the gear on the spindle). Have your friend turn the spindle slightly in one direction until it moves just one tooth worth (you can feel it). You should work out in your head which direction you need to go before hand. If you do it right, the oil pump stays engaged, and the dist rotor will move one tooth worth in the right direction. This should allow you to time it properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.