ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all new to this forum. But stalking for quite a bit. Not sure if this is allowed in this area of the forum but saw others asking similar questions here. Been looking around to buy a car to restore for my father as a retirement gift. His first car was a late year Datsun 280z. Although I am quite handy with cars I do not know how to value the Datsun Zs I am looking at, as i usually deal in jeeps and old trucks. This forum has been very helpful and I have learned alot for what to look out for. I recently came across this one and was wondering what you thought of the price. It is a late model Datsun 280z that has been parked for over 20 years in a garage and does not run. Appears to be in relative good shape and only moderate rust.

Late 70s 280z
Manual
Over 100k miles
Parked and not run for over 20 years

Thanks

:Edited to add info:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks clean in the pics but the important areas are the ones you can’t see like the underside of the vehicle and under the carpets.

What’s the price? You mentioned but did not post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah apologies for the oversight. I have edited my original post to show price. Have seen the underside, mostly free of rust, frame appears clean, no underbody cracking i could see, but have not seen under the carpets.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,484 Posts
Mike, please add a phone and email. You are welcome to break up the email so bots can't grab it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be clear I am asking what the zcar community thinks this car is worth as I am looking to buy it not sell it. Wasnt sure if this is allowed in this area of the forum but saw others asking similar questions here. Happy to move it elsewhere just not sure where. Do I still need to provide a phone and email?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,484 Posts
Thanks for clarification. You're OK as is.

I'd suggest a look at current and past sales on Ebay, but I think his price is about double what it might be worth in its current condition. "Moderate rust" on a Z can be much worse than you think, and even if no rust remediation is needed, after 20 years you would have quite a bit of work to do. Labor time has value, even if it's your own labor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you pilgrim for the information. I have been attempting to do just that and I did feel the price was pretty high. Like I said before I have a good amount of experience with old jeeps and trucks but not with coups like datsuns. So it was hard for me to judge the market considering what some people are willing to pay for "projects". Did not think to check past ebay sales, appreciate the tip.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,484 Posts
It's really hard to get comparables from the Internet when you're dealing with all the "what if" problems of an older car that has been in storage. I wish you well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if you've bought this car yet, but I can tell you that in the condition it is in, it is way high. I mean, the one I have is an 83 Turbo 5 speed, and it runs and drives, and I'm only asking $10k. So make your judgement on that if it helps.

Hey all new to this forum. But stalking for quite a bit. Not sure if this is allowed in this area of the forum but saw others asking similar questions here. Been looking around to buy a car to restore for my father as a retirement gift. His first car was a late year Datsun 280z. Although I am quite handy with cars I do not know how to value the Datsun Zs I am looking at, as i usually deal in jeeps and old trucks. This forum has been very helpful and I have learned alot for what to look out for. I recently came across this one and was wondering what you thought of the price. It is a late model Datsun 280z that has been parked for over 20 years in a garage and does not run. Appears to be in relative good shape and only moderate rust.

Late 70s 280z
Manual
Over 100k miles
Parked and not run for over 20 years

Thanks

:Edited to add info:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts