ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Most of uss dont drive our Z's in the winter but its the original owners that thought of their Z as just another car.They drove it where and whenever they had to with no concern of what it would be like in 30 yrs.Now we have to right their sins and fight to keep our cars alive.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ya I am with BoZton on upstate NY. I am from Rochester and they start salting in October/November and it doesn't stop until March/April. I bet Rochester could make plastic rust! :D

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I think would be easier to name the non rust states

In Florida you can find any day 10-20-30 year old cars with ZERO rust, and yes the few cars who sleep/live by the ocean can be spot a mile away WHY? they rust from above (skin cancer) and they die there b cause nobody want them,
Florida is a panacea of good cars, big mistake to consider FL a nono

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
What I've seen with Florida cars near the ocean is that they rust from the top down. Cars from the snow belt rust from the bottom up. I've never seen a Florida car with chassis rust, but I have seen them with holes in the roof and tops of fenders. Northern cars will rot first at the bottoms of the fenders and doors,

·
Registered
693 Posts
A lot of Florida cars have chassis rust, just not as many as many in the rust belt.

My parents live in Key West (i used to) - Because of the high salinity content in the water, a lot of that salt gets picked up by wind and dropped on land. When it rains the streets turn into a salty cocktail.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Easier to change out a fender than a framerail. And still, most southern cars, where the owner notes *rust issues* in the chassis are talking about a much less aggressive amount and rate of rust. Someone in FLA would look at a frame rail and say it was rusty, while here in the NE, we just want a framerail without holes in it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'll add Western Maryland to the mix. We get about 40 inches locally in Cumberland, but 10 miles west, they average 144". Them State Highway Administration boys know how to use a plow & salt truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haha, that car posted by YOGO is interesting. Looks like the rust was painted on, interesting idea, lol.

Pretty much any state with a high amounts of rain, snow, moisture, ocean exposure, etc. are bad for rust.

Heck, theres areas in Cali that rust badly because they are right next to the bay.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
No one mentioned Indiana, we hold our own with rust here. Then to boot in the middle of the winter we'll get a couple of warm days in the upper 40's after freezing our butts off and then everything in my garage sweats, condinsation forms and then rust afterwards. My L-24 block has quite a bit of rust in it on the bores just from sitting for the past 2+ years in my garage which I'm not too worried about since I'll be punching it out soon to rebuild it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned NY. I was told by residents there to never buy a used car from NY.

And WV280nut, I do remember those sweltering days as a kid in the Kanawha Valley and the pall of chemicals that often wafted from Nitro to Belle. The sulfuric/SO2 would turn the paint on the houses yellow. I didn't realize I was breathing/hacking on HF fumes when they were released until years later when I went to work in a chemical plant in DE.

But as a kid, I look back on it fondly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: Nobody mentioned NY yet??

DUMBESTONE

See page 1, like the 8th post

See page 2, post 2, from YETI

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
yeah, I live in the huntington wv/ashland ky area rust sucks pretty bad here too. I used to have one of the very few 240Zs that werent rusted to death. I never saw another 240Z on the road when I had mine.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.