ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I couldn't wait till I bought a timing light so I looked at my distributor and saw the adjustment screw. Read in the Chilton manual on how to adjust the initial timing. So I loosen that screw and turn the distributor all the way clockwise. Now I've read on the forums that there are 2 adjustment screws? But all i saw was one. Before I adjusted it, it was on the far side of counterclockwise turning so me turning it all the way clockwise was a big adjustment. As I turned the dist. the idle climbed real high. I had my idle screw on the TB way out because I had trouble with stalling. So as I adjusted the dist. I had to screw in the TB idle adjustment. Idleing is real smooth. Took it out for a drive and drove real good. Had more low end "oomph". I have always used 89 octane gas and sometimes 93 octane hence the reason for wanting to adjust it. But since it seems to have been a huge adjustment i'm a little worried about pinging. So since i advanced it as far is it would go? what is my initial timing at? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
your timing should be 10 degrees, but if your running 93 octane then 15 should be ok. Drive it iin third and gun it, if it sounds like your pinging then back off the dizzy some more keep doing it until no pings are heard.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
15 might be fine in some cases, but he might be at over 40 total if he moves it to 15 degrees initial which is way too much. i had mine at 15 initial once and the power was substantially lower than when i have it at 10 initial.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine did sound and feel a little weird as I approached redline so maybe I should back it off a bit.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
running higher octane gas and then running more advance with it does not mean it will make more power. there is a fine line in timing degrees where it will begin to fall off rapidly performance wise if too far. most agree it is about 36 total degrees max, but it could be a little more or less depending on engine components.

best way is to get it to a dyno with the 98 octane in the tank and let her rip and get a printout of 3 runs with timing set at 3 different values say like 32, 36 and 40. with those you 3 runs you will definatly see which way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.