ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a free parts car so im finally gonna restore my Z. The parts car has many good new panels but the engine is a different story. The cam had broken into a few pieces...heh. So, I got the new cam(i just wanted the thing to run so after i stripped it and put all my panels on i could sell it as a driver) I noticed however that the valves seemed kinda stuck down, so my best guess is that they are bent. How big a job is it to pull the head off and give it a valve job? I'm also debating which color to repaint my restored one... any suggestions? I was thinking metallic blue... I'm putting new exhaust on my car soon, because its kinda missing, as i explained in a previous post. I'm wondering how much power I'd gain by eliminating the old cataylatic converter. Another things is where is the **** oxygen sensor?? everyones told me to replace it for more power but i cant find it. Isn't it supposed to be by the exhaust manifold? I'm also really wondering if something is amiss in the emission control stuff. It takes a long time to warm up from a cold start. It seems to miss until you rev it some. all the plugs are burning fine, and i just put a new rotor and cap on the distributer. Theres about a million and 1 emission things on the car and I dont really know where to start. Any suggestions on what tends to be a big part of the problem? Im still tryin to get my car fast enough to beat those rusty old crx's that keep killin me... Sorry this post is so long. If you can help id appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
RE: woohoo, more questions! (paint,exhaust,emissi

O2 sensor is in Turbo outlet flange, or in headpipe leading from exhaust manifold down to the CAT. A properly flowing CAT won't really affect your HP that much, and the corking it provides in the exhaust helps low-end torque a little. The head could be replaced w/ a junkyard unit complete, if you want it to run NOW, and that way you can save up and have the other head repaired correctly (big cam, new rockers and lashpads, ported...) Just my .02

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
RE: woohoo, more questions! (paint,exhaust,emissi

oh yeah, and check to make sure the thing has a thermostat in it--that can cause the warmup problems you mention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.