ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 280zx:I had just started the car and then it shut off. Now it will crank over but wont start. Have spark,inj. pulse, gas. If i take the distributor out it will show that it is 180degrees off. I will put #1 piston at TDC and readjust the distributor so it is right again. Then I will purge the engine and try it over and then pull the distributor cap off and it will be 180degrees off again. should I do the timing chain? The motor has 172k miles. PLease help me!

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do you know #1 is at TDC and distributor is 180 degrees off?

If you are using the timing groove on the crankshaft pulley and timing plate to determine TDC on number 1 be advised that there are two times when these marks will line up. One is when number 1 is at TDC and the other is when number 6 is at TDC. When number 6 is at TDC (compression stroke) then number 1 is all the way up on the exhaust stroke and the distributor will be 180 degrees off of the number 1 terminal on the cap.

My advice -

Remove the valve cover and rotate the engine to where the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and timing plate are lined up AND both valves on number one are closed (cam lobes upward). Then reset your distributor so the rotor is pointing to number 1 on the cap. This will be at 5 to 6 o'clock position looking from front to rear. (rotor pointing to front of car).

Bob A.

> 1983 280zx:I had just started the car and
> then it shut off. Now it will crank over but
> wont start. Have spark,inj. pulse, gas. If i
> take the distributor out it will show that
> it is 180degrees off. I will put #1 piston
> at TDC and readjust the distributor so it is
> right again. Then I will purge the engine
> and try it over and then pull the
> distributor cap off and it will be
> 180degrees off again. should I do the timing
> chain? The motor has 172k miles. PLease help
> me!

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> 1983 280zx:I had just started the car and
> then it shut off. Now it will crank over but
> wont start. Have spark,inj. pulse, gas. If i
> take the distributor out it will show that
> it is 180degrees off. I will put #1 piston
> at TDC and readjust the distributor so it is
> right again. Then I will purge the engine
> and try it over and then pull the
> distributor cap off and it will be
> 180degrees off again. should I do the timing
> chain? The motor has 172k miles. PLease help
> me!

Befor going through to much trouble, you should check the cyl. head temp. sensor, and mass air flow sensor for loose or bad connections. Either one of these if not hooked up properly will cause a problem like this. Start and then shut off and not start again.

Will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.