ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71 2.4 that wont rev up past 5200 rpms. Newly rebuilt head, cam, all that good stuff. It was doing this before I had the head rebuilt. Are my points jumping maybe? Or could it be my plugs or the wires. I have nearly new wires and bosch platinum plugs and very new points and condenser. How long do the points last anyways? Also I have a new distributor cap is nearly new also. by the way when I say nearly new I mean about 3-5000 miles except for the points have about 500 miles on them. Thanks everyone. Laterzzz Mark

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Double check the dwell on the points. You can get wear in the dizzy to the point that even with new points that you can gap them to the correct gap and your dwell will be marginal at best and way out at worst. I was at this point on my original equipment dizzy (72) when I just finally said the heck with it and installed a Pertronix Ignitor. I was at the point where I just ignored the gap setting ang would just set the points until the dwell was in the center of the spec. Now, no more point gapping, yea! And no more dwell checking, yea! It's always correct.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I was thinking that it might be the points. They have always been such a pain in the neck to set. How often do they need to be reset? Is there maybe a specific brand that lasts longer? Ive always gotten any old kind that the auto parts store sells. thank you everyone again. Laterzz Mark

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Used to use Bluestreak points but I don't know if they are even made anymore. Then I went to Echlin points from NAPA and used them for many years until the Pertronix swap. I used to set points up at least once or twice a year. I would say you might want to check, clean and adjust them at each 3000-5000 mile oil change. I don't have it in front of me but I seem to remember that the owners manual called for adjustment and timing check every 7500 miles. Oooops just went and checked the manual, it calls for adjust point gap every 3000 and replace every 12000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.