ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '83 280zx, 2-seater, non-turbo-->FS5W71B transmission. Bought the car with clutch completely shot--it was slipping so much that all I could do was rock it back and forth a little. I just finished pulling the tranny out, and I found what felt like sawdust mixed with a little gear oil and grease in the bellhousing. The rubber dust boot for the clutch fork (or "withdrawal lever", according to the manual) has fallen apart, so I assume that stuff is road dust that found its way in through the opening. Does anyone know where I can get a new dust boot? This dust is probably what killed the clutch disc and I'd rather not repeat the process.

Also, the transmission oil smells sort of like sulfur, and seems to have a layer of Dexron or something like it that hasn't mixed in. Will I be OK just draining and refilling with gear oil, or do I need to tear it down and degrease it?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

--Doug Brunner

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: Withdrawal lever (clutch fork) boot replacemen

I picked mine up from the dealer (only a couple bucks). While you're at it it may be good to replace the throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and perhaps the rear oil engine seal. Just less work now that you've got the tranny down instead of later...
And I'm not sure the best course for your tranny, but I would not take it apart unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you're doing with it. I don't mean to sound harsh, but transmission work is very touchy when you start tearing it apart. However it may be a good investment to get some Redline synthetic to put in there.
-zakaron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.