ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Let Fingers do Walking

>Call some of your local tire retailers that also sell aftermarket wheels. One of them is bound to have a line on wire wheels. You probably won't like the price though.
Phantom

·
Registered
195 Posts
> Had wire wheels on my 76 280z BK (before
> kids) now have a 78 and would love to have
> wire wheels. They just look classy.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you have have many choices in the wire wheel dept.

I recomend the Dayton Wire wheel comany. Been around since 1914, and make an excelent product. They only come in a true knock off. Hundreds of sizes are available, and many color combos. They can do chrome, gold, powdercoating, and any combo inbetween. They are available in a 72, 88, 99 to 108 spoke wheel. Spoke styles are available in twisted, diamond cut, and kris, and straight.

A brand a little cheaper than the Dayton, but still high quality is the Roadster Corporation. These wheels are available in a direct bolt on, and the Roadstar version, is a true knock off. Once again, gold, chrome, and powdercoating is available. Available in 58, 72, 88 to 104 spoke.

The Mclean Wire Wheel company is yet another brand. Excelent quality, and a little less expensive than the previous brands. This company does not make a true knock off, but they have a few more styles of spoke arrangment. They make straight laced spoke wheels, and a spoke arrangment, similiar to something you would see on a 50's or 60's British roadster.(Criss crossed spokes.) I've seen this style of wheel on many Z's. Spoke numbers vary from 56,78(?) to 100, maybe 108 if I remeber correctly.

While none of these company's sell direct to the public, your local custom shop should be able to get a hold of them. If you find your local lowrider shop, they may have a few sets around for you to glance at, and get an idea of what your shoping for.

Hope this helps a little.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
108 Posts
> Had wire wheels on my 76 280z BK (before
> kids) now have a 78 and would love to have
> wire wheels. They just look classy.

Chris gave some great sources....

For a while--I was really considering true wire wheels for my Z. Not that crappy chrome wheels with the simulated wire basket that makes it look like wire wheels. Tacky, tacky, tacky....

Another company I remember seeing was out of California--I think(can't remember)they were called American Wire--they make a wheel similar to the one on the yellow G nose Z in the Enjoy the Ride ads in magazines. (the hub/spinner part was very dimunative in size)
Z car magazine had a wheel shopping guide about a year ago and they had advertisement.

I think they were about a hundred a piece.

They would even custom make one for you if you wished....I wanted the brushed aluminum look for the rim and stainless steel spokes like the wheels on Ferraris and Aston Martins.

But--realizing that wires can be fragile(keeping true?) and maintenance--I was just happy with my aluminum Western wheels....

Tell us what you do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.