ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 TT with the stock wing on it. I finally have it running really nice, and I'm about to start on some of the more cosmetic issues.

I like the look of the 300's with no wing, really clean and sharp. Anyway, how functional is the wing? Is it providing a significant amount of downforce for the car? Am I screwing up the engineering of the car by removing it?

Thanks ahead of time. I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and I've picked up a ton of great info.

Hap

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
the 94+ wing is functional, the 90-93 isnt, personally i would leave it. IMO the 94+ wing is the best wing out there.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Well old Steve is gonna say whatever it takes to sell his stuff, so ya have to either take his word or ignore it. Although he's not making it anymore, he said the additional 2" make more downforce at speed.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If you decided to take it off, I'll be happy to buy it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Z-Addict has one.

EDIT...oops...you meant the 94-96. There are FG ones on ebay now.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 10:20pm)

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
How is the 90-93 not functional? Does the air that flows over the top miss the spoiler or the like? I'd think it would be functional. I've done several trips to 160 in my past z32 which also was converted with a n/a hatch to wingless. I would have rather had the downforce, the rear end gets very light.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
I'm not saying it's not functional. I'm saying Steve Millen says his is more functional. LOL

I do know that Saleen built a Mustang that was more aerodynamic w/o a spoiler. But that's a different animal.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If your not going to be tracking it or running bonneville and you like the look of no wing take it off. I don't have one and think it looks best that way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Zluster, to what facts or studies do you base your statement that "the 90-93 is non functional, and the 94+ is functional" ??

Just your opinion, or something concrete you've found in your searching?
State your source, or qualify your opinion.

Frankly, since both the stock NA and TT are easily capable of 150 mph, I am convinced that the oem spoilers are much more cosmetic and marketing-based than most of us believe. At the max speeds any smart Z driver is going to be doing, 80 or less, there isn't much actual downforce going on from either spoiler.

The tall Stillen-type spoilers probably do exert some real downforce since they are up in the true airstream, but don't we all agree they look like ****?

I am amused with this new and growing trend toward removing the oem spoilers. Just a fad to be different? What is really going on here? We NA non-spoiler cats are already there. When you really look at the side aspect of the Z32, really look at it....the unmistakable conclusion is that the car's shape without any spoiler is just about perfection.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Everette its not opinion its fact, and widely known, its in some of the published materials that I dont care to try and find. 90-93 is not functional, only cosmetic, where as the 94+ is. It should also be noted that because the 94+ wing is functional the coefficient of drag is also increased. With the 99 body mods the coeffecient decreased once again.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I like no wing and the 90-93. Don't care much for the lil tikes picnic table.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.