ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my '72 gets up around 80 the windshield wipers get jittery and start dancing. What is a good fix without getting something that looks like it came out of the future?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
the shaft coming out of the motor has alot of play. wiper motor is easier to pull than it looks. check out the linkage for excessive play

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: windy wipers</b>

I had the same problem.. anytime I was doing freeway speeds.... I replaced the blades with some costly rubber. I replaced the wiper arm... still nothing.. When I was at the West Coast Nationals I saw a guy there with a small wing on the driver's side blade so I talked to him about it. It solves this problem... what can I say... I hear Motorsports have them... The wing is about 5-6 inches long, and 1 inch wide at the widest point. It looked good too.

Let me know if you try it.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
same solution as dennis. I put some wingies on the wipers and it keeps the wipers pretty much planted up to 125...
got mine in Japan, though, and they have these neat stand-offs so the wipers don't rest on the windows all the time. You manually set them up on the stands (attached to the wiper itself) after you park the car, and when you turn the wipers on, a speing pops the stands out of the way so they work normally. If anybody has seen these wipers here in the USA, or has a line for them, LET ME KNOW! I love these things! Makes the wiper rubbers last FOREVER without streaking!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
i bought a set of "airfoil" wiper bodies and teflon coated blades at an autoparts store. I think they are Anco. The bodies have a small curved plate on each body near the wiper arm attach point.
The setup has eliminate all shake and skip, even in heavy northwest rains at 80! Yeah, I know, too fast.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The springs holding the blade to the window may be weak. I took some off my parts car and changed them and had a much cleaner wipe. The motor on my 77 is weak though and stops erratically. At least they work, I drove an old Nova for a while with no wipers, thank god for RainX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.