ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was going to tint the windows of truck, then was t-boned and that was it for his truck :(. Ne ways he had two rolls of tint that he gave me for free, figured i couldn't beat that kinda deal. but i don't have the slightest idea of how to tint windows, but would like to learn. ne help(links, personal exp.,ne thing) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Clean all windows and rubber molding.
Clean the glass with window cleaner and high quality paper towels (no lint).
If your a smoker, clean the glass with a razor blade. (that sh1t is in your lungs, too.)
In a spray bottle make a mixture of water and a squirt of shampoo.
Spary on both sides of the window and squeegy off.
Measure the length of the door windows add a couple of inches.
Place the cut peice on the outside of the window wit the clear side up.
The clear side is usually the outside of the roll. Take two peices of tape to seperate one corner to find the clear.
With the cut peice on the glass with the window rolled down an inch, cut the acroos the top angle of the window.
This will give you a matching edge to work with.

Now separate the the tint, throw away the clear and soak the tinted peice with the water/soap mixture.
Spray the window down.
Place the tint on the inside of the glass a quarter inch from the top and front.
Slowly roll the window up into the jam.
Trim the back of the window to fit it into the jam.
Trim the bottom, but leave enough to slide down into the door about a half inch.
spray the window again and squeegy out the bubbles.

Small windows, Cut a peice and trim.

Rear windows cut the film into strips, start at the top and overlay ech peice.
Slice the middle of the overlay and remove the leftovers.
This will make it appear to be one solid peice.

Good luck.

Clean the GLASS 100% BEFORE you start.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks like Gr8vfr knows tinting, this is exactly how it’s done.
I have tinted before and knowing all of what Gr8vfr said I wouldn’t do my own Zs.
I have the same thing as everyone has…the life time guarantee or whenever the place goes out of business. These people are professional tinters and they had to do it twice on every Z I gave them to work on.
Indeed this guy smokes loads of weed all day but I don’t and wouldn’t tint.
Let them do it and get a guarantee.
We have a Sears that has a tint shop and gives a lifetime guaranties.

M&M
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
lots of heat needed on curved 1/4 windows on 1st gen took shop two days to do mine and the glass was out of the frame... ZX might not be so bad...

M&M did you go back and read my last post to your ? last night?

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot for the input on the situation. i actually found a friend that has a friend that knows a guy? ne wayz u get my drift and he'll do it for 100 and a six pack at his shop saturday after closing. and its gonna be the good stuff to, 2 1/2% limo black reflective, it looks awesome my first friend has it done. but thanks for ya'lls opinions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The quarter windows have to be done with two peices.

It is easy if you take your time and prep the car before you start.
Wash the car, Vaccum it out, wipe the inside down.

Do your tinting in a garage with plenty of light with the garage doors closed.
you do not want any wind or dust between the glass and tint.

About twelve years ago I did a '77 Z with all the glass out of the car.
It turned out perfect.

What brand of tint did your friend give you?
If it is Gila, I wouldn't bother putting it on.

I would only suggest using Solar Gaurd (not Sun Gaurd) or 3M anything else is garbage.

I tinted windows for about six years when I was younger.
I live in FL and the sun destroys cheap window film in no time at all.

Remember my dad's saying: You get what you pay for.

Titanium tint is nice but it seems to blur after several months.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
gr8vfr pretty much said what you need to do, but here's a few more hints

I would recommend removing the glass from the car if you are handy removing and replacing the glass without marring it. If you are good, you'll get a complete glass film and not have to worry about the fuzzy wiper catching on the lower edge as you roll the window down. Plus you'll be able to trim the edge of the film right down to the last 1/16th of an inch away from the edge.

Another hint is from a friend of mine who used to do these in Iowa. AFTER the film has been installed and you've released all the bubbles by squeegeeing them out or as a last resort popping them with a pin (Very much last resort, since a bubble can usually be traced down to dirt or some other imperfection not allowing the film to adhere.) Get some CLEAR nail polish and the thinner for that brand of nail polish, THIN IT OUT slightly, and apply it to the edges of the film. This helps seal the edge and gives it a little bit of a ramped start so that the edge isn't so raw.

Lastly, definitely use a hair dryer or heat gun, but be CAREFUL. It doesn't take a lot of heat to shrink that film, and if you shrink it too much it will pull in weird angles and more than likely separate from the glass. Remember, the film DOES have adhesive on it, the water and shampoo are to get the film on the glass. The exposure to sunshine and heat is what activates the film's adhesive. A heat gun or hair dryer will do the same but very very fast.

FWIW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.