ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my back window and the two back sides tinted 5% (Limo), and the front ones tinted at 20%, which was still pretty dark. In california, 70% is allowed in the front, but I know its kind of a grey area with cops. Sometimes they'll bust you, sometimes they wont. I see so many **** cars with the front tinted dark though. Also, I found out that having my front windows tinted voided my insurance, so I took the front ones off, because I have enough debt right now. Has anyone here had any bad run-ins or problems with cops, insurance and your windows being tinted? Im trying to decide if I want to put it back at maybe 35% in the front.

·
Registered
152 Posts
its one of those things they will use to pull you over if they want to check your car for other problems, like bald tires or cracked windows, drugs or to run your record. i rarely hear about a cop giving tickets JUST for the tint. it is illegal, but in CA its only a fix-it ticket (unless they changed something) so $15 ad a trip to the CHP to get it signed off. if you know a police officer he could sign it off for you and you wont even have to actually fix it. i had a 35% tint on my truck for the 5 years i owned it and i never once got pulled over, of course i rarely drove @ night and i never went to common problem areas. een 70% will get you a ticket, whens the last time you seen a police officier carrying a window tint tester :) if youre strapped for cash, just keep it on there until you get busted, then fix it. if you dont give them a reason to hassle you, chances are they wont.

Post Edited (Jan 1, 3:46pm)

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Unless they've changed the law recently, in California, NO tint is allowed on the front windows.
I've got 5% in the back, and 50% on the doors... No problems yet! (knock knock)

Post Edited (Jan 1, 4:09pm)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
geez, another reason why California is completely f'd in the head!!! lol. Oklahoma you can have 35% on all windows and a 6" strip across the windshield. It is only once in a blue moon that you hear of anyone getting a tint ticket. Personally I like 20% on the windows. . .not quite limo, but definitely dark enough to cut down on heat and peeping eyes.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a very dark tint one the back window, and rear corners, and a little lighter and the sides, and have never had and problems from the police about it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the cops weren't my main concern, but thanks for all the feedback. I dont have a record of any kind so that helps. Besides that, I've been pulled over about 10 times in my life but never with this car, and I've always got out of it after telling them I am a waiter at TGIFridays, AND because I talk to a cop with respect, which is the most important part some people just can't get through their heads!!!

I was worried about the insurance. Are youz guys insurances void now also? (If the guy who hits you decides to be a dick, and has half a brain, he will probably mention your window tint to the company,and you'll be screwed)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
No problems from insurance. My car has been in 2 claims, and looked over by the adjustor twice and never was mentionsed.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
^ same as me. Well.. actually one of the guy's mentioned something, but he was an ass and didn't do anything about it. (He also took rubbing compound to my paint to get a scratch out, and in turn made other scratches from the compound!!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just remember if you enjoy having a few beers and then driving home, window tint violation is easy PC (probable cause) for a stop.

I know nobody drinks then drives their Zs, but just a friendly reminder.

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.