ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the '71 back together and ready to assemble the doors but I can't remember which way the regulator's tension springs go. As I feared, the service manual doesn't show it.

Since I seem to have rotten luck attaching photos here, I made a little page for it on my website here. Shown is the RH passenger side. Anyone know which way? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If the gear in the pictures is going to rotate to the left, there will be no spring force on the mounting bracket clip.
If the gear rotates to the right there will be spring force on the bracket clip.
my .02c

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the gear in the pictures is going to rotate to the left, there will be no spring force on the mounting bracket clip.
If the gear rotates to the right there will be spring force on the bracket clip.
Maybe I didn't ask my question the right way. Look at the pic again and look at the way the spring is oriented. The force would be the same in either view but which side should the rotating part (with the gear teeth) be turned for the regulator to be installed correctly?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Oops, my bad. I concentrated so much on the gear teeth and spring I didn't pick up on the obvious, LH and RH. Still depends on which way the gear swing relative to bracket.
Go by the pic on BF-16, Body Section

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go by the pic on BF-16, Body Section
I looked at that before coming here. It seems to show a tiny hint of what might be the end of the spring, but it could be a fly speck on the original print. I guess I'll have to do a deeper image search online.

Thanks for the reference!

·
Registered
24 Posts
From my Chilton manual, this references a 1979 model but it may help.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It's easy to figure out. As you crank the window downward, the spring tension should increase. That way it helps you fight gravity when you roll the window back up. Z man of Washington

1 - 9 of 9 Posts