ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, first off I would like to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions. I tried everything on all of them. Still my window on the drivers side is very hard to roll up. I am wondering about the regulator, it does not have any up and down play whioch I would interpert as worn teeth, but it does move from side to side. Are there any substitutes for a 240Z regulator? My junk yard is woefully short on old Z's. By the way when I coax the window as far as I can with the crank it is a full 2 inches from meeting at the back & top, I can then pull it into place but would prefer a more sophisticated technique of closing. Thank you for all your previous help and look forward to more imformation.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
I wrote a couple pieces on this before. I'll reference them here again in case you missed them and only acted on the other posts that had been done.

http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=237568&t=237498

http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=236265&t=236010

Both of these are responses to your posts on Dec 14 and 21 respectively.

I will draw your attention to the ROLLERS on the window mechanism.

There is the Window Pressure Roller which is a little barrel shapped roller located on the uppermost part of the door, mounted onto the "outside" part of the door, and below the Chrome / Rubber Wiper strip. This is what keeps the window from flopping around towards you and away from you as you are sitting in the car.

The other rollers that are of concern here are the THREE attached to the regulator scissor assembly itself. Each of these is critical in that they are the means of transferring the rotational cranking force you apply via the window crank to vertical movement. If these rollers are broken, tight, or otherwise NOT functioning properly, since they are at the end of long arms, the problem gets magnified by the length of the arm just as if it were a lever.

Each of these three rollers rolls in its own independent raceway. Two of them act directly on the window pane itself, the third fits in the guide channel that bolts to the inner part of the door. Each of these MUST roll somewhat freely. This sounds vague, but what I mean is that they don't spin like a wheel on a Hot Wheels car, but more like a wheel that needs constant thrust to keep it going, but the key thing, NOT HARD. If they aren't moving easily, then you must free them up with some sort of lubricant. The rollers are nylon, and can easily become grooved or damaged. If that's the case, the only way to fix this is to get a new window regulator scissor assembly as the pin that holds the rollers to the scissor levers is peened into the lever arm.

If the three rollers check out ok, then look at the raceways themselves. They must be uniform in roller channel width, that is the width that the roller "sees" as it rolls back and forth. Think of the race way as a true "C" channel with the roller trapped within the "C" by the flanges on the top and bottom lips of the "C". As you look in to the channel from the end, you should see a smooth and straight "C". Check for copious amounts of OLD grease. Old grease eventually gets to be the consistency of TAR, and makes it VERY difficult to move items through it.

If again, all this check, then check the FRONT sash. This is what the nylon guide mounted to the front of the window pane bracket rides in. It mounts to the lower front corner of the door. It has a GENTLE curve to it, but the channel itself should not have ANY NOTICEABLE bends in it. If it does, it must be replaced, this is more than likely the problem as I've stated in prior posts.

Lastly, check the spring on the regulator assembly itself. If this is broken, disconnected or sprung it will make the window very hard to actuate. This spring is what helps you counter-balance the weight of the window pane, so that you can crank it UP. Without it, you are trying to lever the pane up with a small 6" lever mounted through a geared mechanism, the mechanical disadvantage is such that you are literally pushing a rock up a big hill with a small stick.

This is it, give it a shot and if you want you can e-mail me direct: [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.