ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this used car with dark blue shade/film on the glass which I want to remove. I can peel of the plastic layer, but the blue sticky dye stays stuck to the glass. I've tried carb cleaner, iso alcohol, even some tricloro cleaner with no luck. I would use a razor scraper, but don't want to damage the defroster grid. Anyone know what works on this? Thanks much.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Try MEK</b>

The name is Methol Ethel Keytone, this is strong stuff so wear gloves and safety glasses and its very flamable. Follow the directions on the bottle. Do not lay any of the rags on paint or carpet. Use outside of the garage. It has a flash point that is lower then gas. Buy a small bottle at the hardware store and try it on a test area. It is a glass window you have right?

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I did the 409 and plastic bag trick on mine. It worked amazingly well. Like you I first tried peeling it off, but the plastic sheet came off and left the "blue" behind. I then sprayed the glass liberally with 409 window cleaner (anything with ammonia will work) and put the whole window in a black plastic trash bag. Or tape the bag on it if it's still on the car. Set it out in the sun for 20 minutes. Remove the bag and peel the stuff off. I was amazed it actually worked. Apparently the ammonia dissolves the glue without hurting anything else. Be sure not to let it dry out while you are "baking" it in the sun.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Try MEK or any ammonia window cleaner

Spray any ammonia based window cleaner liberally on the window and then cover the window with plastic wrap. Wait 1/2 hour to a day and then clean it right off. This is why they warn you not to use ammonia based cleaner on your tinted window film. It removes it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Spray the old film with soapy water. Then place a trash bag over the soapy old film. Let it set in the sun for about 4-5 hours. The old tint should peel off. It allows the soapy water to work through the pores in the tint and penetrate the adhesive.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: Window film remover...help.</b>

just soap and water will do the trick. soak it good so it softens up then start wiping off. it smears around but you can get it off.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did you read the part were I said to put plastic over it and let it sit in the sun for 4-5 hours. You can't just spray on soap and water and expect it to come off.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having tinted for a living when it was new...lol great job for a 16 year old really. Well to get it off, you use ammonia full strength right out of the bottle. You can get straight ammonia from any grocery store... Follow the ammonia up with soap and water. The ammonia is kewl cause it turns the glue on the backside of the tint to a green yellow snot that comes off with a window scraper in about a sec. no problems.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
by the way... no sun, no waiting, no trash bags....ha ha... just ammonia and a spray bottle.. killer! try it on your enemies cars!! Whee! Takes about 10 minutes in the shade.....or wherever?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.