ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i drive my car (86 300zx n/a), it is very loud inside, especially on the highway, because the front windows leak air really bad. while driving on the highway, all you can hear is wind noise because the the edge of the window is right behind your ear. what can i do to fix this?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
new weatherstripping probably, if your window isnt out of adjustment.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Yup, same problem I have. Also on really rainy days I will get some minor drips of water coming in from the windows too. I thought I might be able to adjust the window higher but the problem isn't that. Although my weatherstripping looks to be in great condition it no longer is strong. It compresses really easy and is very spongy to the touch. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Problem is that each side is something like 130 dollars. If you happen to have t-tops it might even be more money (mine is a slick top so it's only the one piece).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would try adjusting the window stops again.

You can get the window to go pretty high.

New weather stripping is way out of hand $$$$$

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
True you can get the windows to go pretty high but if you notice the weatherstripping has a retainer kind of built into it at about the top of the pillar. This helps keep the window set into place. When closing the door the window will brush against it and slip past it. If you raise the window too high the window will hit the "retainer" too much so that the window won't close right. Then if you end up slamming the door shut too hard it's possible you might break the window. Thats why I said I tried the adjusting and it doesn't solve the problem. Adjusting it will only slove the problem if your window and/or door is out of alignment from an acciedent or something like it. If the door and window is properly aligned and there is still a gap then new weatherstripping is what you need. Besides, by now I'm willing to bet the rubber has gone bad from age where as the glass and metal would only be affected by some kind of a trauma to it. Adjust if you want, just make sure that when you first close the door that you do it softly so if you messed up you don't break the glass.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I thought you could adjust the window so the top edge was farther in when closed...though I've never adjusted mine.

You'd do this at the bottom of the tracks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this aswell, what I did was to get some small thin pieces of black rubber and glue them along the weatherstripping where the wind noise was coming from. Cant really see the pieces as they are in the grove of the weatherstripping and it really cut down the noise. I have a slicktop tho, so I didnt have to worry about the t-top seals...

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You have a turbo slick top? You lucky ass!! Thats probably going to be my next Z but finding a turbo slick top is rare. I'll probably have to turbo swap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, its a JDM model (I live in New Zealand) so its a bit different to the US-spec models. It is an 85 turbo, but has no spoiler or bonnet scoop. The model code identifies it as a GLL, but it is manual/analouge everything.

Its just stopped being my daily driver and ive started spending lots of money on it now - just when im not driving it much. Oh well!

·
Registered
96 Posts
very easy fix, go to the store and get some black silicone caulk , then put plastic wrap on your window... put a thin line of the silicone along the weather striping and then shut the door slowly. wait for it to dry.. then peel off the plastic wrap, you have a brand new seal..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.