ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 84 300zx na that had a tree fall on it a few years ago .The question is that I have a 280zxt with a auto in it and want to put a 5 speed in it.The 300zx has a five speed I would like to know if this trans would fit in my car and what parts I need.I already have these parts, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch lines,pedals,and the hardware that goes under the dash from my 81 280zx na .The way they talk in the archives the non turbo trans is slightly better than the turbo 5 speed .Also what would be a good clutch for this trans in my turbo.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't forget you will need to replace your efi computer. They were programmed with curves based on the type of transmission you have. If you go from an auto to a 5speed, you'll need a 5speed computer.

·
Registered
863 Posts
No the trans out of the 300ZX won't work unless you put a VG series motor in your ZX. The bell housing won't bolt up and the shift lever is in a different location. In short the 300ZX is a RS series gearbox and you need a FS series. As for the ECU, don't worry about switching it unless you plan on putting in a programable unit. Look for a gearbox out of a '77 to '83 280Z or ZX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.