ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be able to aquire a turbo engine, but not the t-5 manual tranny. Will the stock 280zx non-turbo tranny work with a turbo engine from an auto rig? Will the non-turbo tranny be able to handle the extra hp? I am thinking it will, but have some reservations about it. Plus I don't know if there were any differences in the turbo engines that came with autos vs sticks. Can somebody shed some light? Thanks

· Registered
433 Posts
Ok if you have a nonturbo engine that would be great. First the crankshaft on the two is the same but the automatic has a lip on it were the driveplate bolts on to. Just get a manual crank and I'm not sure but you might need a manual drive shaft. Finally will it work yes the stock turbo motor really doesn't put out that much more power, with all the restrictions that Nissan put onto the car. Like you pop off valve it vents off at 5-6psi and the fact that you don't have an intercooler is another thing that limits you from high boost. The bottom line is that the 280zx turbo engine has a lot of poteitail with a 6.5 red line and a bottom end that will support 450hp stock, you just have to know how release its true power.

tbs

· Registered
339 Posts
As I understand the whole scheme of things, no modifications are necessary to go from an automatic to the nissan 5spd transmission. The mount points are identical, and drive shaft lengths identical. The only difference is there is a little plastic piece on the end of the crankshaft that needs to be removed before you mount the flywheel.. which can be removed with a flat head screwdriver. Next up comes the clutch.. either the NA or turbo clutches will work, but look at it like this, the turbo clutch is of a larger diameter than the NA, to give the extra grip the turbo desperately needs to be effective. Either way you go, you'll need the same size flywheel. Now, other than getting the manual console piece that surrounds the stick, its all a bolt together installation.

I would check the archives yourself to make sure. From all my poking around, thats what I've come up with.. as I've been tossing around the idea of either a 5spd or a 4spd auto from a maxima into my 82ZXT.

Best of luck..
-il82

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Aaaah, the cranks are the same...

The crankshafts are NOT different between the Automatic Z's and the standard transmission models...

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Need the bushing, too.

I'm not clear what you are changing into what, but if your're going auto to manual, you need to also install the pilot bushing into the hole in the end of the crankshaft.

As for going to an automatic from a manual, the automatic for the turbo IS different than the N/A version. It has different modulator, clutch packs, etc etc.

But the N/A manual transmission is perfectly sutiable for use on the turbo engine, as long as you have all the right pieces to install it. I've run mine for 14 years so far...

· Registered
433 Posts
hey tony_d??

what tranny and rear end do you have in your turbo car? i've got a 3.7 rear end and ZX tranny waiting to go into mine. will the gearing be too low with that combo? i know the ZX tranny was meant to be mated with the 3.9 in the NA cars. will the turbo create enough low end torque to compensate?

· Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need the bushing, too.

Actually, I have found a wrecked turbo car with an automatic. I want to put the turbo engine into my n/a car which already has a 5 speed. I was concerned that the turbo from an auto car would not mate up correctly with my 5 sp. Also, I was concerned that my 5 speed would not be able to handle the extra power for long, but seems as though it can. Any idea just how much power a n/a datsun tranny can handle? Thanks for all the comments guys!!

· Registered
11,803 Posts
I'm assuming that you’re using the turbo engine from an auto and the tranny from a NA. Tony D is correct, you will need to remove the auto spacer ring attached to the crank and add the pilot bushing. The manual tranny from a NA should work just fine. You'll need to use the bolts that came with the manual tranny to bolt up to the engine. The length of the bolts is different between the auto and the manual. Everything else should bolt straight up. If you’re changing the car over from auto to manual you'll need a number of additional parts. Like:

Clutch and brake peddle assy. from a manual.
Clutch master.
Clutch slave.
Hydraulic lines.
Inner shifter boot.
Inner shifter boot retaining ring and sheet metal screws.
Outer shifter boot.
Outer shift boot retaining clips.

You can beef up the clutch by using the flywheel from a 2+2 and getting a good after market clutch to match it. Just a better clutch alone should do fine if you don't get too crazy on the turbo buildup.

Good luck and have fun

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Over 250 for 14 years...

Does that quell your anxiety. BTW, the latest engien in the car is out of an 83 ZXT Automatic! Third engine on the same tranny...

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Originally...

I had an R180 with a 3.36! I would pass EVERYONY just cruising just below boost threshold at 3000 rpm, and in fifth, if I romped on it, the boost was instantaneous, and the thing would pulll, pull HARDER at 4000, and just keep with a steady pull up on up...
Go back calculate those speeds, and you'll see why I transplanted a 3.70 into the car.
No decrease in top speed, as I can now pull to power peak easily, and QUICKLY!
I feel the 3.70 is MUCH better for the car, but I have a feeling the 3.545 wouldn't be a bad compromise, wither, especially if you add even more power to pull higher is the speed range.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
BTW, I use the 225mm Clutch Assy.

I've not had to reengineer to the 240mm plate combo yet. I use CF dual Friction and aluminum flywheel.

· Registered
1,163 Posts
The non-turbo tranny will work with a turbo motor. I completed this switch over the summer on my '83 ZXT. I have written a detailed article documenting the exact tools required, costs and there are some tricks needed to complete this job. If you like I can email you the document, its written in Ms-Word.

Yasin
[email protected]

· Registered
801 Posts
Re: Originally...

I run a 3.55 with a 82 non turbo tranny. I have this same setup in a NA car and it's a pig. In the turbo, it's great. You really don't want to quick of a gear or you have to shift and get out of boost to quick. Like Tony said, If you load up a turbo it comes on stronger. With this setup(and 235/60/15 tires) my car runs the 1/4 at 122mph, which is just about the top of fourth.
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.