ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need help - My 280 iz about to die. The keyway on the crankshaft iz worn out and rounded and the key won't stay in - Would an eppoxy hold it in? Any suggestions or should I just look for a new engine Please help if you have any ideas!

From Aaron

"posted by jeffie7"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Will eppoxy hold the keyway on the crankshaft?

Epoxy will not hold that thing. You have to replace the key. If a new key will not fit snuggly you have to remedy that situation, but try to get some key stock or a replacement key. They may be metric. Fix the problem ASAP! Don't put it off. Hopefully you can replace the key and maybe the pulley if you have to. Otherwise the crank will have to be repaired.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Will eppoxy hold the keyway on the cranksha

I echo the last comment. If the keyway will not hold the key properly, you MUST fix the problem. If the keyway is rounded over, it may mean it is time for a new crank or perhaps some custom machining to go to an oversize key. Whatever you choose, do the job right! Do not use epoxy!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>It might work....</b>

It might work for a very short term fix.... but wouldn't last... but then again bubble gum could be used.

I agree with everyone else.... talk to your local auto machinist. He could steer ya in the right direction. This is fixable, you don't need to buy a new engine.

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>I had the same thing happen.LONG!</b>

****, HATE to hear this.I had the same thing happen to my 81 280zx na last year.I over reved it 7,000rpm for 5 or so seconds (drunk)then on the way home the balancer came loose.I thought no big deal get a new balancer (wrong)the crank was rounded off on one side, The side that needed to be strait.So I thought about a while came up with this: Weld it and forget it(wrong)can't be done. The weld does not stick to two different metals.Then I took and put the balancer on in the right place,then drilled a hole in between the line seperating the two parts.In other words made a key hole much like the factory one but round, and came to the end.I took the drill bit and cut it (car is worth more than it)put it in the hole I just drilled.I put the bolt and washer on to keep the bit in the hole plus to tighten the balancer.Worked for a while but could not rev high or would sling it off!!Don't try to get the crank machined you would need a custom balancer.
I have just put a crank in my car a few weeks ago and working great with a few bugs.This is the best bet!
I got my crank for my car from ALL Z EAST great price!

If not that concerned about the motor try driving it with the balancer off.I drove mine a round the block it was much much faster!!(lighter I guess)but you have no water or acc.

Let me know what you do
GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
RE: I had the same thing happen.LONG!

Why does this happen to everyone? I have'nt driven my 75 Z because of the same problem. Where is All Z east? How much did you pay for the crank?

Thanks
Mark
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I had the same thing happen.LONG!

$75 for the crank $25 for balancer.They wanted $75 for just the balancer in Atlanta.I'll give you the # when I get home,I am at school right now.

I must a soft metal in the crank or balancer is not that great!!I think if we spin the motor high we need better balancers ,but they all seem to lose the A/C and power streering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.