ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out friday looking for wifes new car. We really liked the new Monte carlos but the Pontiac GTP kicks butt in acceleration. Both have same motor (3800 seres II) but the GTP is supercharged. The Monte handled better thru the S's, the GTP is a 4 door sleeper with all the bells and whistles. The price's are a couple grand apart M/C 23,800 GTP 25,400. Haven't even tried to deal with them on her 95 Quad 4 Old's Achevia yet. Which would be best problem free wise? I don't know much about superchargers so are they reliable or would we be getting a shop queen?
Thanks for your input in advance.
Rob,

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Wife's new car? off topic</b>

Dad just bought a GTP about a year ago. Fully loded with all the bells and whistles and the 3800 engine but not supercharged. THe HEADS UP DISPLAY ROCKS!! THe car rides really nice 2 door but lacks some in handling. THe accelleration is really fast as well, no problems so far. He got it used with 2k miles on it for like 17 grand from a dealer, just shop around look for a 98 IMO.
Zya

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pontiac supercharger fairly reliable...but

I'm not a Pontiac man myself, but my parents have owned them for years. Currently, they have a mid 90s Grand Am, and some other mid 90s convertible. I forget the name. Their friends own a SSE (Bonneville w/ Super), and haven't had any drivetrain problems at all.

Anyways, both of their cars have the 3800 V6. As far as power goes, they have plenty. But the handling, leaves alot to be desired. It seems to be the epitomy of sluggishenss, but hey, the ride is comftorable as long as you are not pushing it. Great for taking grandma to the store.

In general, the drivetrains on Pontiacs are quite decent. Mechanical components are quite reliable, and powerful. BUT, and I must emphasize that is a BIG BUT, the electronics are plagued with problems. My parents have had computers replaced, alternator problems, miscellaneous swithces/lights go out, and other annoying inconveniences. Mind you, this is not confined to the two present cars, but ALL the past Pontiacs they've owned. For some unknown reason, they still buy Pontiacs. Don't ask me why, I don't understand the reasoning. Of course, it could be due to my heavy 'Z' bias. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Regardless of which car you get, just a little advice about buying new cars these days... ( I sold Toyotas up until this past winter) BE INFORMED. Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) and MS Car Point (carpoint.msn.com?) both have invoice prices of new cars listed by make model and option, along with some other sites. You still should expect to pay destination charges (usually listed), and holdback (usually 1-3%?) plus $0-500 profit depending on the market where you are, i.e. how desperate they are to sell you a car. Here in Silicon Valley I had to let some cars roll with $0 profit, though not many. Also, misrepresentation of invoice is illegal (check with your DMV if you think this is happening), so get them to show you the invoice, it should pretty much match what you find on the web, and bottom line, offer a little bit of profit over the dealer cost, say $250-$500 to make the negotiations somewhat easy. Sorry this is getting so long... The other things are, Don't be afraid to say "No, not good enough, try this." it's a series of compromises, compromise what you can and if you don't like what they give you, start to walk out, if you're close to what they are willing to do, often they will give in at this point, if they don't try somewhere else, or go back a few days later and try again though they still may not budge. Last thing, making friends with the salesman/woman will make things SO MUCH EASIER, remember that they are people too, just trying to make a living, and if you get along with them and act like you don't hate them, they may actually like you more, and work harder to get a better deal from the manager. Hope this helps.

Myke former car sales at Toyota Sunnyvale
P.S. Sometimes you can also try just going to the fleet manager and offering 2%-3% over cost, if they'll deal with you this should work (still ask to see the invoice), if not pick a salesperson you like and start from the top.

·
Registered
253 Posts
if you (or anyone else) wants any more car buying advice, just call, I also do negotiating for car buyers in the bay area, oh yeah, on the trade in start at Kelly Blue Book wholesale + $1000, you may end up at wholesale book, but almost never over... usually have to settle for about $1K under... some people get $3-4K under so don't feel bad, but selling it yourself is a better option $wise.

Good Luck
Myke

·
Registered
625 Posts
As a curent Pontiac salesman I agree with Myke

I've sold cars for the past 7 years and Myke is giving you some good advice. I don't know where you live but in N.C. the Grand Prix is still our hottest car. It is the only car that GM is not offering rebates or special rates. If you can get a GTP for $500 over you would be getting a good deal because normally our managemant wil not let one go for less than a $1000 profit. Also being nice to your salesman does make him work harder for you. If I get a wise A$$ I could care less if I sell him or not because I figure I'll have to live with him the next 3 years complaining about anything and everthing! Later, norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

who cares about the handling or power. buy what she likes and you won't sleep on the sofa.

as the owner of a use car lot 4-14 years old, stay with GM throw out chevy & cads all the others are best except may be a V-8 bird

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

after reading the thread I would have to agree with vincebo, but as a datsun buff i would recommend a japanese car for sheer reliability and resale value.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all & more

I am wondering why there were no comments on the Monte Carlo?
I have worked with my salesman before for my daughters car, We also go out and play in the dirt with our 4-wheelers (I have a 98 Yamaha Warrior) and bikes so you could say I treat him like a friend. Although I always have the feeling of being taken. It always seems like I work for the best deal on everything and a few weeks after I buy, there is a better price in the paper. And Chas I would buy Japanese if they made a car with the room and solidness of the M/C, which I like more than the GTP. Both are 172.00 over invoice.
Thanks again
Rob,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.