ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I had run the battery down whilst cranking away to start the car when the distibutor cap had gotten wet, now, after I've jump started it, it just registers 6 volts, and dips occasionally to lower than 6. The battery is charged, and the car will start great, the meter is just giving me this wierd reading. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
571 Posts
We need to know what car you have for starters.
I will go under the pretext that you have a 280 ZX being this is what we have most of on this group and on the road.

If you are wonder if your voltage or the voltmeter in the car is incorrect, check it.
Get a good Digital Voltmeter and check the systems voltage.
The voltmeter in your ZX has a weakness in that it has a trimmer pot inside.
If you remember using an old stereo or TV turning it on you get a harsh scratchy noise.
The TV and stereo as well as your ZX voltmeter have these variable resistors.
After time they corrode, tarnish or can become damaged from surge and give you problems as you spoke off.
Now what to do about it, clean it up by turning it back and forth a couple times.
You need to remove the glove box by unscrewing all the screws from the glove box, light switch on the left as well at the 2 screws on each side of the latch. The top of the glove box is a flap that you can be pulled down to remove it. Once the glove box is out look to the upper left of the glove box you will see a single screw holding the 3-gauge cluster. You will also see it’s has a harness plug on it. It is very important you don’t crack the board of the gauge cluster when you unplug. I would pull the negative battery cable at this point. You need to spot the 10-plug harness and gently rock it off with a butter knife. Once this plug is off the cluster will free up. Take cluster out while observing not to snag on the clock knob and the ½” split tubing in that area. You will need a plastic mini flathead tuning driver (Radio Shack has them). Now while it’s out you need to plug that harness back on to the 3-meter cluster as it now hangs from the glove box hole, you will notice the plug has two end plugs offset a bit so you can get it in properly. What we are doing is having the cluster connected and hanging out so it can be cleaned and aligned. Put the negative terminal back on your battery. Now you need to locate this illusive trimmer pot. Connect your DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to the battery laying the meter on the windshield so you can see the voltage you are looking to tune the cluster meter to. The access hole is between the black and green/yellow clock wires on the green circuit board.
Being that the meter is sitting offset at about 45 degrees the plastic tuner must also slant to compensate. Look inside with a good light and you will spot a 3/16” round thing with a flat screwdriver type slot, this is the trimmer pot. Once you seat this slot turn it back and forth and if you want spray a small amount of tuner cleaner in there. Now crank the engine and slowly tweak the 3-meters voltmeter to match the voltage of your DMM/DVM.
Now kill the engine unplug the cluster and gently work it back in place. Plug it back in and screw it back in. Put the glove box back in and your done. Now if this gauge is indeed broken I have about 10 of them, email me. Pay shipping and cost of one large pizza with a 2 liter of coke. About 17 bucks with tip. I have whole clusters also for whatever the **** I paid for it, about the same. Clusters turn me on baby.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL
That’s us, see you on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.