ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wierd starting problem!?!? Ay least it's wierd to me. I am the new owner of a '78 280Z. I'm very happy with everything but starting. If I turn the key normally it doesn't start, turnover or anything but produce a clicking from near the passengers right foot. If I turn the key very fast the car starts right up.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave Ruth

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Wierd starting problem!?!?</b>

There is a switch that screws to the back of the key start. The switch is worn and is having trouble making contact. It is round and should be held on by 2 screws. Remove it and replace it, runs about $24 from Nissan. I had the same problem on my Z. Before long you will be sitting there for 5 minutes trying to get the **** thing to make contact. 15 minute fix, just unplug, unscrew and replace. Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>One thing first.</b>

Unbolt the switch, but do not unconnect it. Use a screwdrive to turn the switch and see if it easily starts. It should! This will let you know the contact is worn or bent so replace it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dave,
It can also be the result of a battery that is getting weak or bad battery cables. Look at your battery cables. If they look eventhe least bit nasty or corroded - replace them. The pair of them should cost you less than $10 and it shold take no more than 45 minutes to change them both out. You'll be amazed at how much better the car will run - after how much better it starts.
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.