ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my 85 300zx turbo last month and all it needed was an altinator. I got that in and with a new battery it started right up. So i took the battery terminal off and it worked just fine, I was pretty happy because it was a pain in the butt project! So anyways, I parked it for the night and the next morning morning i noticed the driver side headlight on even though the lights where off and down. And when i parked it thats night i would of known if there was any lights on, cause there wasnt! I went to start it and the battery was dead. So i got my Jumper box and it started right up. but when i removed my battery terminal it stalled. I was dased. So i gave it numerous attempts. It failed everytime. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be. This is my first Z car and i dont know a thing about the wiring.

If anyone can help, Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Author: chezam
Date: Jun 5, 4:52pm

why would you disconnect the battery with the engine running?"

If your Altinator is working properly you can disconnect the battery and the car will still run. if your altinator is failing the car will stop running.

·
Registered
304 Posts
you answered your own question.

either you didnt connect all the wires/on came off or you got shafted when you bought the altenator and they gave you a bad one.

dont know bout the head light though...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I know it would be a pain in the ass but rather than dance around what the problem could be - I would pull the alternator back out and have it tested at your local autoparts store for free.

For some reason us z31 owners see a lot of defective replacement alternators out of the box. It is free to run the test and if you have gone through this process once it should go fairly quickly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
actually you just ruined the alternator by disconnecting the battery while running the engine. i don't know where that "test" came from. but i see it all the time, guess what? its bogus. it tells you nothing. buy a voltmeter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks bobs86zx i'll look into that. :)

And no DarylHewitt the light stayed down with it on!

Also i took my altinator back out had it tested and it was bad so i returned it. I am getting a new one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your responces!

Post Edited (Jun 6, 5:31pm)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
it is the headlight switch that is the problem, you can either fix it; or get a new one.

I've got another hint for you, have the new alternator tested before you put it in your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea domdogg123, Thats what i am going to do! also i am going to replace the light switch before i start it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Alternator is in running smooth, and switch is fine.

Leaky powersteering line only to be tightened is fixed. Thanks everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.