ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious: why do the vast majority of Z resources diss the 280ZX so badly? They all describe it as a pig, slow, etc. etc. I am the proud owner of a NA 280ZX 5sp with 87k miles; with a few tweaks (low restriction cat, K&N, etc.) I am running around an 8-second 0-60. I personally think the car handles great, has awesome brakes for an older car and has tremendous road feel even with my relatively lame 14 tires. I've only driven a 280Z once and really don't remember it very well - are the older Z's really THAT much better than the ZX?
Why do people hate the ZX so?

Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, it's an '82 :)

> Just curious: why do the vast majority of Z
> resources diss the 280ZX so badly? They all
> describe it as a pig, slow, etc. etc. I am
> the proud owner of a NA 280ZX 5sp with 87k
> miles; with a few tweaks (low restriction
> cat, K&N, etc.) I am running around an
> 8-second 0-60. I personally think the car
> handles great, has awesome brakes for an
> older car and has tremendous road feel even
> with my relatively lame 14 tires. I've
> only driven a 280Z once and really don't
> remember it very well - are the older Z's
> really THAT much better than the ZX?
> Why do people hate the ZX so?

> Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
My ZX does 0-60 around high 6 low 7 secs but I have a turbo model my friends own both a 95 V6 Camaro and 90 V6 FireBird and they say my car is a **** lot faster my tires are 16s
I love them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
I love my 280zx

i own a 83 280zx and i love it..im in the process of fully restoring it...new carpet...paint job..etc...i love the handling and look of it...all i want out of it is maybe a new turbo engine! but other then that i love the car!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

Sure, other 280ZX owners aren't going to diss it, but those who own the earlier ones, especially the 240Z, like them because they're closer to being a true racecar: lightweight, simple, easy to repair and modify (especially now that they're exempt from smog laws in many areas), and with a superior rear suspension design. How many 280ZX's do you see on the racetrack? The 280ZX is the next step in a line of Z's that got progressively heavier, more luxurious, more complicated, and more expensive. Just depends on your preferences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

> Sure, other 280ZX owners aren't going to
> diss it, but those who own the earlier ones,
> especially the 240Z, like them because
> they're closer to being a true racecar:
> lightweight, simple, easy to repair and
> modify (especially now that they're exempt
> from smog laws in many areas), and with a
> superior rear suspension design. How many
> 280ZX's do you see on the racetrack? The
> 280ZX is the next step in a line of Z's that
> got progressively heavier, more luxurious,
> more complicated, and more expensive. Just
> depends on your preferences.

I'd like to add that the ZX has significantly less legroom than the Z does. (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't extreme by any means, and I physically am incapable of driving the ZX without significant pain) =) other than that I don't have too much of a problem with it. But I still like the Z better overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

> I'd like to add that the ZX has
> significantly less legroom than the Z does.
> (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't
> extreme by any means, and I physically am
> incapable of driving the ZX without
> significant pain) =) other than that I don't
> have too much of a problem with it. But I
> still like the Z better overall.

Hmmm.....interesting Zebra! I'm 6'5 and I fit perfect in my 81 ZXT. I think it's all in what your after. I wanted a quick, fun to drive car that wouldn't beat me to death on long trips. My Z is everything I could ask for in a sports car and didn't break the bank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
ZX Mechanically Better; Z better lines/lighter

> Just curious: why do the vast majority of Z
> resources diss the 280ZX so badly? They all
> describe it as a pig, slow, etc. etc. I am
> the proud owner of a NA 280ZX 5sp with 87k
> miles; with a few tweaks (low restriction
> cat, K&N, etc.) I am running around an
> 8-second 0-60. I personally think the car
> handles great, has awesome brakes for an
> older car and has tremendous road feel even
> with my relatively lame 14 tires. I've
> only driven a 280Z once and really don't
> remember it very well - are the older Z's
> really THAT much better than the ZX?
> Why do people hate the ZX so?

> Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Z's:)

being a owner of a 81 ZX na my very first car i got this year(for my 18th b-day present) yah thats right i got a long way till i sell my car due to a wife or kids hehehe hahah, i do agree with T.REX for racing wise the 280ZX is much heavier and you don't see many on the race track. But if you looking for a good car to race with the 240 and 280Z are both good i think. the 280Zx i'm sure you can make it go just as fast depends on how much money you have. But i'm sure we all can agree that we love Z cars, and the datsun name as well. If i get a 240Z it will be to race and my 280Zx will be to commute. heh 2 Z cars
well thats all i gotta say, All Z's are great. oh yeah and that 200SX and 240SX what the **** is that crap:)? the 240Sx is ok cause in japan they brought over the silvia and its a hella fast car:)
Zya Later
Yuichi
81 ZX n/a
72 or below 240Z , anyone in the bay area wanna sell me their Z heheh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
END ALL QUESTIONS TOWARDS BIAS ON THE ZX

Jon, to answer the question simply is due to jealousy. Not the knock the more nimble,lighter and the classy lines of the earlier models. The majority of the responses I have witnessed on this forum have been from horsepower junkies. The easiest and least cost increasing HP upgrades come from the Turbo model ZX's. With a Turbo model you can double and triple the HP ratings with the similiar costs of just adding 50-100 HP in an earlier model Z. Call it jealosy or animosty, but the bottom line comes to a love for the Z as a sports car. I think that all Z's are the epitomy of all other sports cars in its popularity, except for maybe the future prototype model. Whichever way it goes the Z will always be considered as the greatest selling sportscar of all time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

> I'd like to add that the ZX has
> significantly less legroom than the Z does.
> (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't
> extreme by any means, and I physically am
> incapable of driving the ZX without
> significant pain) =) other than that I don't
> have too much of a problem with it. But I
> still like the Z better overall.

No legroom?? I'm 6'3 also, and my 280ZX has plenty of legroom. The only problem comes when I hit a big bump in the road and my head smacks into the glass of the T-tops. Other than that, the car fits like a glove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

> I'd like to add that the ZX has
> significantly less legroom than the Z does.
> (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't
> extreme by any means, and I physically am
> incapable of driving the ZX without
> significant pain) =) other than that I don't
> have too much of a problem with it. But I
> still like the Z better overall.

No legroom?? I'm 6'3 also, and my 280ZX has plenty of legroom. The only problem comes when I hit a big bump in the road and my head smacks into the glass of the T-tops. Other than that, the car fits like a glove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

wow your 6'3?! im 6'5 and i fit in my 83 280zx...wow maybe i should try to switch.hehehe...but i do fit in mine..i guess i just got used to it...
> I'd like to add that the ZX has
> significantly less legroom than the Z does.
> (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't
> extreme by any means, and I physically am
> incapable of driving the ZX without
> significant pain) =) other than that I don't
> have too much of a problem with it. But I
> still like the Z better overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: who hates a Zcar?

wow your 6'3?! im 6'5 and i fit in my 83 280zx...wow maybe i should try to switch.hehehe...but i do fit in mine..i guess i just got used to it...maybe because all the cushioning is gone from the seats.hee hee...but hey i love all z's!
> I'd like to add that the ZX has
> significantly less legroom than the Z does.
> (as in I'm 6'3 which while tall isn't
> extreme by any means, and I physically am
> incapable of driving the ZX without
> significant pain) =) other than that I don't
> have too much of a problem with it. But I
> still like the Z better overall.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top