ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tach is apparantly reading too high at all speeds. The reason I say this, is that a friend of mine who has a Z now, and has owned many Z's in the past, has listened to the engine, and swears the tach is off. Compared to his Z, he is right. This would account for my recent E-Mail where I reported that my 260 runs at 4000 r.p.m. at 70 m.p.h. in 4th with a stock rearend (which is impossible).

QUESTION: What can cause a tach. to be innacurrately high? Is it the tach. itself? Or is something external to the tach. giving bad input into the tach.?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Get a RPM/Dwell test meter and see what kind of RPMs you are actually pulling, and compare with your tach. That is the only way you will know for sure. $29.95 at pep boys.
Tach circuit is really straightforward. If it is off, I'd suspect the only moving part - the gauge. Let me know what you find. If you're in the Dallas area, I'll work something out to check it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> QUESTION: What can cause a tach. to be
> innacurrately high? Is it the tach. itself?
> Or is something external to the tach. giving
> bad input into the tach.?

Are you sure your speedo isn't reading high, too? What width, profile, and diameter (195/70-14 was stock) are your tires? If your tires are shorter than stock, you'll have a higher speedo and tach reading than stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.